Senior/Analyst (Hydrology or Water Resources or Geoinformatics)
RMS is the world's leading provider of analytics and decision science solutions for the quantification and management of catastrophe risks. The models and consulting services of RMS are used by hundreds of insurance and reinsurance companies, hedge funds, corporations, and governments to assess a wide-range of natural and man-made perils such as - earthquake, flood, windstorm, terrorism, and disease pandemic. RMS continues to grow and diversify to service and meet the requirement of its clients through research and technology innovation and superior client service. The company's strength lies in its ability to use and develop the skills of its people across a wide remit of business activities.
RMS model development team boasts a team of about 100 scientists, building mathematical models that predict the distributions of possible damage due to the effects of earthquakes, tropical storms, extra-tropical storms, thunderstorms, storm-surges and floods using a combination of observed data, reanalysis data, numerical and statistical models and data assimilation. RMS is the pioneer on the development and application of complex statistical and numerical modelling methods for the quantification of natural hazard risk. RMS’ risk models are the most detailed and comprehensive models of natural catastrophes produced anywhere in the world.
Objective of the role
Looking for a skilled scientist/technical specialist (as catastrophe risk analyst, modeler, or a similar role) to be a part of model development team that develops probabilistic flood models. He/ she should have an in-depth understanding of hydrodynamics, hydrology, hydraulics, and a good understanding of the integration of data and models. He/ she should have good problem-solving and communication abilities and adapt to work in a quick-paced and project oriented environment.
- Responsible for understanding, analyzing & developing hydrological models for development of flood hazard model, loss model, calibration and validation
- Communication and interaction with colleagues in global offices
- Responsible for research driven process enhancement initiatives in flood modeling
- Sound knowledge of hydrological and hydraulic processes and modelling
- Command in one or more of the programming languages: Python, R, FORTRAN, MATLAB
- Linux/Shell scripting for data management
- Experience working with large datasets
- Basic knowledge and interest in catastrophe risk insurance industry
- Post Graduate in Water Resource Engineering/Hydraulics Engineering/Hydrology/Geoinformatics from a reputed institute
- 3 to 5 years or research or industry project experience