SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 of countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, is operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopian through a market based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV's operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org.
SNV Ethiopia implements WASH programmes across two broad themes: 1) Rural WASH and 2) Urban and peri-urban WASH. For rural sanitation, the aim is to improve access to and encourage correct, consistent use of household sanitation and hygiene facilities to help Ethiopians gain sustainable access to improved, affordable sanitation and hygiene, and ensure that people live in open-defecation free (ODF) environment. For urban sanitation, SNVs work includes being a market facilitator to help Ethiopians to set–up services for human waste management through collaboration between the public, private sectors and communities. Current programmes include five WASH projects in different regions, zones and woredas, funded by various donors such as DFID, USAID, AFAS Foundation/Woord en Daad and Fred hollows Foundation.
Kunzila Integrated Land Scape Management and WASH (ILMWA) project will be implemented by a consortium of two organizations: Water and Land Resource (Lead)) and SNV - Netherlands Development Organization funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of The Netherlands (EKN).
The objective of this project is to contribute to a more prosperous and healthy population in Kunzila Watershed, in alignment with the other relevant projects and programmes and national policies and plans.
SNV looking for SNV Ethiopia is looking for dynamic, experienced, talented, energetic, flexible, open and ready to learn candidates for the position of a WASH Engineer integrated Project implemented in Kunzila Water shed in Amhara region.
Key responsibilities include:
The post holder is responsible for the technical assessment, preparation of the applicable design for the WASH Facilities, work on the design drawings and estimates. He/ She will manage and supervise all WASH-related construction activities. In addition, the WASH Engineer will also prepare procurement requests, documentation and monitoring and evaluation of the technical component of the project.
Project Planning, Implementation and Reporting
· Carry out assessments of the water, sanitation and hygiene situation of communities in the Kunzila Water Shed in North Achefer woredas and provide assessment reports with key recommendations and designs of what needs to be done in the area of water, sanitation and h
· Develop detailed implementation plan for water and sanitation related activities;
· In consultation with PM and the SNV scope of work (SoW); engage in the preparation of detail fiscal and financial plans;
· Supervise the construction of pipe system, overhead water reservoirs and public water distribution points;
· Lead the Construction of toilets in the institutions;
· Supervise and rehabilitation and O & M of non-functional water points;
· Design appropriate water and sanitation facilities based on local context and needs;
· Ensure that respective monthly/quarterly/biannually/annually reports are meeting deadlines set by the PM internally and externally by the Consortium Lead and the donor (EKN);
· Ensure that all people, regardless of gender, benefit from, and are empowered by improved water and sanitation services, and hygiene practice;
WASH Capacity Building
· Implement and supervise capacity building for the woreda, zone of the government in strong collaborating with the regional government to tailor a package of support based on their needs in WASH and OWNP planning, budgeting, coordination, implementation, monitoring, and reporting;
· Provide system strengthening advice to government staffs, coaching for results and support to the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) thematic area to institutional development and performance management in the woredas (and/or kebeles) in the region;
Coordination and stakeholder development
· Seek opportunities for different kinds of partnership for enhanced quality program implementation and leveraging with the project at kebele, woreda, zone and region;
· Engage in the WASH sector platforms and networking at woreda, zone and region relevant the project
· Build smooth and strong partnership in a holistic manner and represent SNV with relevant regional, zonal and woreda and other development partners and in particular with FHF;
· Coordinate with Water, Health, Education sector offices and community members to ensure that community capacity in O&M is developed;
· Work with village leaders to create water management committees and promote proper hygiene and sanitation practices.
· Identify and advice the PM on potential and new opportunities including donors for resource mobilisation or business development which is aligned to SNV sector strategy;
· Provide the business development team with relevant WASH information which could be helpful as an input;
· Actively contribute in the development of Concept Notes, proposals development
· In coordination with Project Manager, ensure compliance with all grant related reporting requirements;
· Work with logistician and Project Manager to procure appropriate materials.
Knowledge Management, Learning and Innovation
· Inform WASH knowledge agenda with direction set by the project implementation modalities and donor requirement/FHF;
· Support the development of case studies and report to the PM to be disseminated to larger audience/ stakeholders including GoE, FHF, SNV global and other NGOs working in the WASH sector;
· Capture lessons learned, stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and suggest ways how to translate this into practice and report to the PM;
· Periodically collect information about what other organizations are best doing/working within WASH sector more specifically at the kebele, woreda, zone and region to gain institution knowledge of the environment;
Program Monitoring and Reporting
· In coordination with Project Manager ensure that all water and sanitation reports are accurate and submitted in a timely manner;
· Implement periodic project monitoring and evaluation to ensure targets are being met and where needed re-alignment of project interventions to meet targets.
· Work closely with Project Manager and other project staff to ensure that there is consistent, quality monitoring and evaluation of water, Hygiene and sanitation related activities and that reporting is accurate and on time.
Education: Master degree in Civil Engineering, Hydrogeology, Hydraulics and Water and Sanitation Engineering , or relevant technical WASH specialization
Experience: At least eight years in the water point construction, Operation and Maintenance, Management and capacity building and familiar with to current Ethiopian local government context. In addition:
· Excellent facilitation and communication skills both in Amharic and English;
· Demonstrated organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverables and donor deadlines;
· Previous proven experience in managing WASH marketing and capacity building related projects;
· Strong English communication skills, both interpersonal and written;
· Strong data analysis and reporting skills;
· Commercial drive and quality orientation;
· Competent and motivated;
· Ability to work independently and under stressful conditions;