WASH Project Manager
Desired start date: 15/06/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months, renewable
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropeAid
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in, Monguno and Ngala
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure humanitarian impact.
Key numbers about the mission:
- 3 bases: Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno, and intervention in Askira
- Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- Liaison office in Abuja
- The number of expatriates is around 17
- The national staff are approximately 200
- The total budget of the mission is around 8 million euros
In Ngala, SI is working on :
- Emergency response to provide WASH interventions in both hard and soft components that include borehole drilling, pump & water supply rehabilitations, latrines & shower constructions, hygiene promotions under OFDA, NHF and EU (which is an early recovery project)
- Implementation of FSL in promotion of small scale farming (seeds + tools), IGA’s and VSLA, Cash Transfers (harvest protection) and livestock
Ngala base has currently 40 national staff and 2 expatriates.
The WASH PM will have to manage the Ngala WASH program team (about 25 persons), composed of a PMA, Team leader per sectors, officers and community mobilizer
About the job
The WASH Program Manager is responsible for implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the operation proposals. He /She is responsible for overseeing operational teams assigned to the programs in his area of assignment. He /She, guarantees the good performance and the quality of the program(s) activities implemented, and, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance.
Specific stakes and challenges
Implementation and operational monitoring
- Plan and oversee the implementation of program that he /she is responsible for, both on-time and within the set technical specifications. Propose adjustments to programs if necessary
- Anticipate the difficulties associated with conducting WASH activities and help solve problems related to programs activities
- Assess the relevance of activities, the effectiveness of interventions, and their appropriateness in light of changing circumstances and the needs of populations
- Use management, activity, results, and context monitoring tools, respect SI processes
- Plan activities with the support Departments (administrative, logistics), according to objectives
- Provide support and advice to the logistics for the purchase of materials specific to its program activities
- In collaboration with the administrative service, contribute to the development of program budgets, budget follow up and proposal budgets for the program parts
- Write the capitalization documents in accordance with SI tools
- Prepare handover reports before the end of his employment contract and forward them to concerned parties in the mission and at headquarters
- Ensure diffusion of SI technical documentation
Human Resources management
- With the administrative department, define the prerequisites for the vacant positions and, if necessary, adapt the referent job profile.
- Participate in validating recruitment for the national technical staff under its responsibility
- Welcome and brief new employees or volunteers working under his responsibility and implement training related to operational requirements and the identified training needs
- Manage and support the team under his responsibility
- Conduct workshops and regular or ad hoc meetings
- Evaluate the performances of his team members
- Make sure his team follows the safety rules
Reporting / communications / representation
- Write reports and annexes concerning his program for donor reports and/or amendment and ensure compliance with reporting deadlines and guidelines
- Representation in the meetings or forums concerning the program in his place of employment
- Represent SI on request and/or delegation
- Write the administrative documents to be signed (MOU, handover…) jointly with governmental authorities, communities or partners
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Ensure timely and qualitative finalization of the on-going projects close to completion (OFDA, NHF)
- Ensure timely and qualitative implementation of key emergency activities of the ECHO project and close coordination with partner
- Capacity building of the PMA and the program team in a partial remote management context
- Close coordination with Maiduguri program team to ensure consistency in the implementation of the activities across all bases
- Professional experience: at least 12 months of experience in similar position
- Experience in remote management as well as in volatile security context are an asset
- Reliable, honest,
- Very good organizational skills
- Resistance to stress
- Good interpersonal skills (communication), team player,
- Capacity to delegate and to manage
- Languages: fluent in English (additional languages a plus)
- Excellent analytical skills, writing and speaking
- Knowledge of Project cycle management
- Excellent knowledge of MS office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Academic and practical knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Degree in project management or social sciences or other related fields, certificate/training in project management.
Si will offer you
A salaried position
Salary : According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross per month (EUR 1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600 / month
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months + USD 850 allowance (for each break).
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The living conditions in Ngala has improved a lot over the past two years. There are 2 bedrooms with private bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen well equipped. The security rules are however restrictive as the context is tense.
Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English.
If you haven’t made up your mind yet, check our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline.