Research Scientist (Hydrologic and Regional Climate Modeling)
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 310792
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change
Group: Earth System Analysis & Modeling
The Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a research scientists to perform modeling and analysis of terrestrial systems, with a particular focus on surface and subsurface hydrology and interactions with biogeochemistry. Perturbations from climate and human activities may significantly alter the hydrologic regimes inland and in the coastal zone, with consequences for the biogeochemical cycle and terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Changes in hydrologic regimes may provide feedbacks to regional climate motivating the need to study the coupled hydrologic-climate system as a whole. The incumbent will work on one or more of the following research areas:
- Improve modeling of surface and subsurface hydrologic processes and their interactions with biogeochemistry in earth system models
- Develop and improve the use of unstructured grids to facilitate coupling between the land, river, and ocean models
- Improve regional climate modeling including coupling of the atmosphere, land, wetland/lake in coastal regions
- Evaluate the models using observation data and demonstrate their scalability across a wide range of scales appropriate for earth system modeling
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with a team of earth system modelers, atmospheric scientists, ecologists and hydrologists at PNNL and other DOE national laboratories and universities.
When applying please include the following in a single document:
- Cover letter describing your research experience and interests;
- Curriculum vitae with list of publications in refereed journals;
- Names and addresses of three references.
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 2 : Leads specific tasks of the project to meet scope, schedule and budget. Expected to contribute professionally, building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully applying and interpreting standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies. Contributes technical content to proposals and develops business through excellent project performance.
Level 3 : Manages small to moderate projects and/or major project tasks. Integrates intellectual and technical capabilities of work teams. Enhances technical/professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training. Generates ideas for new proposals and participates in business development activities
- BS with 2+ years’ experience, or advanced degree;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing large datasets;
- Fluency in Fortran, C++, and Python/shell scripting;
- Experience with high-performance computing environments;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to publish work in peer-reviewed journals;
- Strong team player with the willingness and ability to work independently.
- BS/BA with 5 years of experience, MS/MA with 3 years of experience, or PhD with 1 years of experience. Strong preference to PhD in earth, atmospheric, environmental, geological, hydrological sciences or other related field.
- Demonstrated experience developing and using atmosphere and/or land surface, and ecosystem models (e.g., CLM, ELM, FATES);
- Experience with data-model integration techniques.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. If you are offered a position at PNNL and are currently a participant in a foreign government talent recruitment program you will be required to disclose this information before your first day of employment.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Earth System Modeling
Opening Date: 2020-04-27
Closing Date: 2020-06-26