Hydrology Crew/Technician Corpsmember UCC/USFS
The Utah Conservation Corps (UCC) in partnership with the Ashley National Forest is advertising for a Hydrology Crew/Technician Corpsmember. This position offers approximately 3 months (10 to 14 weeks) of full-time work experience beginning in early June 2020, dates negotiable. The Utah Conservation Corps (UCC) is Utah's award-winning, and nationally-recognized statewide Conservation Corps headquartered in Logan, Utah at Utah State University's main campus. The UCC has been Utah's largest environmental AmeriCorps program since 2001, completing service work on public lands, in communities, and with various organizations throughout the state. UCC will recruit and hire the selected candidate providing personnel and Human Resources (HR) needs during the placement. https://ucc.usu.edu/ Up to 2 positions -The position(s)will be located out of Vernal, Utah.
$14.95/hour along with health care coverage (if needed), workers compensation, and FICA/Medicare.
A Hydrology Technician Corpsmember performs developmental assignments in support of the Soil, Air, and Water program on the Ashley National Forest.
Corpsmembers will gain experience assisting in spring/wetland inventory, stream/riparian surveys, soil inventory, water quality sampling, servicing air quality stations (NADP and ozone), collecting channel profiles using transit/survey equipment, road and trail inventory. A portion of time will be spent in support of ongoing stream and meadow restoration projects including installation of water bars, hardened stream crossings, willow plantings, and fencing. Performs other watershed duties as assigned.
This is a field-going position with a majority of time spent in a forest setting under a variety of weather conditions, sometimes traversing steep uneven terrain. Work will require wading in streams and wetland areas to collect field data. Field work will typically be conducted with a crew of two. Limited time working alone may be required. Access to work sites will be by four-wheel drive truck and backpacking. Some survey locations may involve a limited amount overnight camping.
- Exceptional listener and communicator who effectively conveys information verbally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and juggle multiple projects.
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions or work assignments.
- Excellent interpersonal abilities.
- Cultural sensitivity and an ability to build rapport with a diverse workforce in multicultural settings.
- Team player who excels at building trusting relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Productive worker with solid work ethic who exerts effort in successfully completing tasks.
- Dependable, responsible contributor committed to excellence and success.
- Self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to learn new skills or techniques.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record in order to drive government vehicle as required for position.
- Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Regular and reliable attendance and dependability.
- Strongly prefer experience in working outdoors.
- Prefer experience in the field of watershed science (e.g. stream/lake/wetland surveys, soil inventory, water quality sampling, macroinvertebrate sampling).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills (prefer experience in data entry, use of GIS ArcMap software and familiarity with Garmin and Trimble GPS equipment).
- An independent, self-motivated, creative, and resourceful individual able to work with diverse groups of people.
- A cooperative manner and the ability to serve as part of a team, but the ability to work independently.
- Work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to commit to a 10-week minimum term of service.
- The ability to navigate by a map and operate a GPS device is essential.
Along with the online application, please attach:
1. Resume to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Resume/CV”
2. Cover letter to be typed/pasted at the end of your application
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**
$14.95 per hour