International Disaster Risk Reduction Specialist
The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. REU develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The International Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the Regional Representative for the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, and under direct supervision and technical guidance of the Resilience Focal Point and in close collaboration with technical officers at the regional, sub-regional and country offices.
Under the Regional Initiative 3, “Sustainable Natural Resource Management under Changing Climate”, FAO assists countries in building resilience to climate change and natural disasters for sustainable food systems. As countries work to transition to more climate-resilient, sustainable agriculture and food systems, FAO supports their efforts by implementing targeted projects.
REU aims to reduce vulnerability of the countries in the region and to improve their resilience to disasters and CC in the agriculture sector. This is done through increasing Governments’ capacities and by improving their legal, policy and institutional frameworks and systems for risk reduction in the agriculture sector.
The DRR work in REU is closely linked to the FAO Strategic Programme to increase resilience of livelihoods to threats and crises (SP5), led by the FAO Headquarters Resilience Programme Management Team.
Tasks and responsibilities
The International DRR will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the implementation and monitoring of FAO projects addressing DRR in the agricultural sector in Europe and Central Asia;
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of Regional Results related to DRR, especially on capacity development, emergency preparedness, contingency planning, risk monitoring and early warning systems in the agriculture sector;
- Contribute to the planning and development of projects and programmes related to DRR/Management and ensure linkages with climate change adaptation (CCA) initiatives at regional level;
- Assist the monitoring on the status of DRR proposals and support the office in preparing of needed materials for key representational meetings as needed;
- Support the development of partnerships and networks related to DRR and DRR/CCA interactions;
- Contribute to mobilization of technical and financial resources in support of DRR/M.
- Support Regional Initiatives and SP5 work when required;
- Participate and contribute to regional activities such as training workshops, and seminars on DRR/M;
- Carry out other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in environmental sciences, agriculture or related fields;
- Five years of relevant experience in disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation project design and implementation;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish or Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent of knowledge and relevance of experience in DRR/M and climate change related projects and programmes
- Extent and relevance of experience in program/project management;
- Ability to work in international teams and with remote supervision
- Working knowledge of Russian is an asset.