Lebanon nationals: Water, Civil and Environmental Engineer
As part of the “Improved Water Resources Monitoring System/Integrated Water Resources Management at regional level in Lebanon” (GCP/LEB/029/SWI) project and the “Rehabilitation and waste management of El-Bared Canal Irrigation System to reduce source-to-sea pollution and improve livelihoods in the Akkar Region of Lebanon” (GCP/LEB/033/NOR) project, FAO Lebanon is looking to recruit a Water, Civil and Environmental Engineer to follow-up on rehabilitation and solid waste management activities in the command area.
Maher Salman - LTO
Water and Solid Waste management.
- Irrigation canal systems are rehabilitated,
- Solid waste prevention and management plan/guidelines are implemented
- Trash removal equipment are installed and operational
- Livelihoods of the local community and the disadvantaged community are enhanced through the cleaning and rehabilitation activities
- Community awareness campaigns are conducted
- Water monitoring equipment are installed and commissioned
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Representative of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Lebanon, the technical supervision of the project LTO, and working closely with the Project Manager; and in close collaboration with the North Lebanon Water Establishment, the Engineer is required to partake in the following tasks:
- Map, identify and assess the irrigation canals for rehabilitation purpose
- Map, identify and assess waste accumulation points.
- Identify most suitable means to remove and prevent waste accumulation in project location.
- Identify rehabilitation priorities and accordingly provide the suitable design along with technical specifications, detailed plans and drawing, estimating the quantities, and in developing a tender
- Supervise livelihood activities related to Canal cleaning and rehabilitation.
- Follow-up on the installation and function verification of water monitoring equipment
- Support implementation of field activities in relation to both projects
- Identify and coordinate with other actors in the area conducting similar activities
- Liaise and work closely with the NLWE and the local authorities on the implementation of activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree, preferably a Masters Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Irrigation or Water related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the field of planning and designing of wet utilities.
- Excellent written and oral working knowledge in English and Arabic.
- National of Lebanon.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to combine, synthesize and analyze information
- Good relational skills with people with different education level, and social and cultural background
- Research experience ability to meet tight deadlines
- Proven skills of report writing and communication
- Experience in solid waste management activities.
- Experience in supervising livelihood activities.
- Experience in using WaterCAD, AutoCAD, GIS, modelling software and Microsoft Office.