Environmental Program Manager
The Environmental Program Manager (PM) will be responsible for environmental compliance at Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centers. The PM will develop standards and policies to support regulatory compliance and provide environmental compliance guidance for operations, construction and other business partners. The individual will complete environmental performance analysis, establish and monitor metrics, and guide teams in implementation of Amazon environmental standards. The PM will work with internal and external partners that include government entities, contractors, consultants, design, construction, operations and other key stakeholders. This position is based in Seattle and will require limited domestic and international travel.
The PM must have excellent communication skills, strong environmental regulatory knowledge, demonstrated success in program and project management, and experience leading and influencing teams in complex and technical projects.
- Manage and oversee program and project-specific compliance with local, state, and federal environmental regulations and Amazon policy.
- Develop strategic programs and tools by integrating with engineering, construction, and operations. Drive an environmentally responsible culture within the organization.
- Function as a leader regarding regulatory agency interactions, permit evaluation and processing, and new process and technology introduction
- Ensure work performed by contractors, consultants, and employees is completed in accordance with Amazon standards.
- Develop environmental metrics to measure, monitor and forecast performance
- Participate in environmental audits for continuous improvement.
- Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
- Represent Amazon at appropriate levels with governmental agencies and throughout the company.
- Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed appropriately.
- Submit time critical reports to various governmental agencies
- Complete thorough and accurate environmental incident investigations and associated regulatory reports and develop appropriate corrective actions
- A completed Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, chemical or environmental engineering or related field of study
- 7+ years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, program specialist, or program manager
- Broad knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations
- Experience implementing environmental systems and programs
- 3+ years of experience with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with Directors and VP’s
- Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
- Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels
- Experience leading change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization
- Experience with regulatory assessments, air permit evaluations and applications, water management requirements and compliance, and waste management