Legal Expert (Legal Advice on Water and Environmental Regulations)
During the last years, the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture initiated an ambitious program for the investigations of its major surface and groundwater resources, for the monitoring of these resources, for the study of hydrological resources (research side), and for the management of the resources including the distribution network and control of water consumption (management side). While most of these tasks have been completed or are about to come to an end, the implementation of most of the necessary measures is in its very early stages and hampered by the increasing workload in the ministry.
For the transition from the current patterns of water administration to future professional water management, the technical and organizational capacities of the MEWA have to be strengthened. In addition, a rigid framework of regulations and standards has to be implemented.
Together with UNDP, a program has been designed to initiate a systematic process of capacity development to help in sustainable development and protection of all water resources. Through this program, several experts with expertise in a wide spectrum of project-related fields will be hired. This service contract is part of this program.
Duties and Responsibilities
SCOPE OF WORK AND DELIVERABLES
Objective within the Framework of the UNDP Project
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has recently passed the National Water Strategy 2030, which intends, among others, to regulate water abstraction, supply, and demand from all water resource. This process has to be accompanied by the corresponding set-up of standards, regulations, and enforcing mechanisms. Hence, MEWA has asked UNDP to select an Expert with profound knowledge in water regulations and the Saudi legal system to set up the regulatory framework for the entire process. This framework is being developed in the General Directorate of Regulations of MEWA, but also needs coordination and cooperation with other governmental and private sector entities, especially the Deputy Ministry of Environment.
Scope of Work of the UNDP Expert within the Framework of this Project
The tasks and responsibilities of the UNDP Expert are to:
- To advice on all legal matters of the General Directorate of Regulations;
- To legally advice the elaboration of bylaws, regulations, and implementary regulations wherever
- To coordinate these elaborations with similar activities in other governmental and private sector
entities, specially the Deputy Ministry of Environment and ECRA (Electricity & Co-Generation
- To legally advice on the respond to reclamations, complaints, queries and alike from the public.
EXPECTED KEY DELIVERABLES
- Comprehensive licensing scheme for the water sector.
- Legal framework for Enforcement mechanisms
Expected Output 1st year
- Comprehensive Licensing schemes for resources abstraction
- Legal framework for Enforcement mechanisms.
Reporting requirements, frequency, format and deadlines
- The Consultant will report directly to the CTA. Together, they will develop a mutually agreed upon quarterly work plan with key milestones and KPIs. The Consultant will submit a quarterly progress report against these milestones.
- Strategic planning
- Organizational Awareness
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring
- Works effectively in Teams
- Clear and concise communication
- Ethics and Values
- People Management
- Strong knowledge and expertise in civilian policing aspects
- Builds support and good judgment
- Strong analytical capacities and ability to synthesize complex inputs into coherent documents
- Change agent including the ability to convince, convey and advocate.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Coordinates/collaborates with all key stakeholders and build strong networks/ partnerships
- Effective team leadership with strong conflict resolution skills
- Establishes priorities for self and other members of the team; schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats people fairly without favoritism
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS
Education: Master of Laws (L.L.M) degree in Common and Statutory – a relevant multi-disciplinary background is considered useful;
- Master of Business Law is a powerful advantage;
- At least 10 years of experience in water-related legal issues.
- Profound knowledge of International water- and environmental regulations and standards.
- Experience in safe water standards, water contaminants, and water pollution with additional
certification in water quality.
- English, excellent communication and writing skills in English; as the position implies frequent contact
with local authorities, also excellent communication and writing skills in Arabic are required.