Water Awareness Campaign Expert
During the last years, the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA) initiated an ambitious program for the investigations of its major surface and groundwater resources, for the monitoring of these resources, for the study of hydrological resources (research side), and for the management of the resources (management side). While most of these tasks have been completed or are about to come to an end, the implementation of most of the necessary measures is in its very early stages and hampered by the increasing workload in the ministry. The still rapidly increasing population mainly counteracts the successes the Saudi government and MEWA have achieved in sustainable resources water management through its reforms.
Duties and Responsibilities
SCOPE OF WORK AND DELIVERABLES
Objective within the Framework of the UNDP Project
Water consumption exceeds the conventional water resources in the Kingdom. It is a prime goal of MEWAs policy to reduce this amount of water drastically, but without endangering food security and general water supply. In addition, the natural water resources have to be sustainably managed. A major component of MEWA’s policy is to raise awareness about this challenge and to encourage (not only) the public to deal responsibly with the fundamental and vital resource” Water”. To initiate future campaigns and target the public more specifically, an assessment of the current status of the knowledge and awareness about water is necessary. Hence, MEWA has asked UNDP to help in the selection of an International Expert for this evaluation and the transformation of the results into a strategy for further awareness campaigns.
Scope of Work of the UNDP Expert within the Framework of this Project
The tasks and responsibilities of the UNDP Expert are to:
- Evaluate the present status of awareness about water issues in the domestic, public, the agricultural sector, and the industrial sector including mining. Main topics shall be water resources and recycled water.
- Based on the results, develop a strategy to change perception on water issues and subsequently, a strategy to change mind sets on water issues.
- Implement the strategies together with a Consultant.
- Periodically evaluate the results of the campaigns and make proposals for improvement of the campaigns.
EXPECTED KEY DELIVERABLES
- Strategy to change perception and increase awareness on water issues.
Expected Output 1st year
- Baseline Review and preparation of RFP: Strategy to change perception and increase awareness on water issues
Reporting requirements, frequency, format and deadlines
- The Consultant will report directly to the CTA. Together, they will develop a mutually agreed upon quarterly work plan with key milestones and KPIs. The Consultant will submit a quarterly progress report against these milestones.
- Strategic planning
- Organizational Awareness
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring
- Works effectively in Teams
- Clear and concise communication
- Ethics and Values
- People Management
- Strong knowledge and expertise in civilian policing aspects
- Builds support and good judgment
- Strong analytical capacities and ability to synthesize complex inputs into coherent documents
- Change agent including the ability to convince, convey and advocate.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Coordinates/collaborates with all key stakeholders and build strong networks/ partnerships
- Effective team leadership with strong conflict resolution skills
- Establishes priorities for self and other members of the team; schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats people fairly without favoritism
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Relations or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Ten years’ experience in public relations and awareness campaigns.
- Previous Five years’ or more experience in water or other natural resources issues.
- Experience in evaluating and conducting public awareness assessments (behavioral change and trends).
- Ability of dealing and managing communication channels (mass-communication, social media).
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to work effectively independently as a consultant and gap analyzer
- Strong quantitative and statistical skills
- Demonstrated ability to proficiently and effectively guide and manage interdisciplinary teams comprised of staff with diverse backgrounds and varied skill sets
- Excellent communication and writing skills in Arabic. As the project language is English, also excellent communication and writing skills in English.