International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of
Wash Officer to be based in Maiduguri.
Position: Nigerian nationals only
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
IMC Nigeria is looking for qualified WASH Project Officer to work with the WASH Department. The WASH Engineer will be responsible for the implementation of all construction function within International Medical Corps (IMC) Nigeria.
The WASH Project Officer will work in coordination with technical leads from WASH, Medical, Logistics, and contractors providing technical, organizational and supervisory role at all IMC construction projects and will be the main technical adviser for contractors, and crafts people.**
· As part of the International Medical Corps (IMC), WASH Team, the WASH Project Officer will be in charge of all technical activities related to construction and will ensure the efficient and smooth implementation of all civil works in IMC targeted areas. S/he will be responsible le to ensure that all WASH infrastructures are accompanied by hygiene promotion and active participation of the communities.
· Develop a plans for improving operation and maintenance of WASH infrastructures in IDP camps and host communities, health posts including stabilization centers and schools.
· Based on assessments carried out by IMC or partner NGOs, prioritize the infrastructure/civil works according to urgency
· Coordinate with technical staffs from WASH, Health, Nutrition and GBV to ensure that the WASH aspects of the response are integrated.
· Provide expertise for construction/rehabilitation of WASH infrastructures, health facilities, women friendly centers;
· Provide expertise for the dissemination of social behavior change (SBC) messaging in camps and host communities
· Assess in-country resources and capacities (human, material and financial) for construction projects with relevant stakeholders and contractors.
· Define scale, aims and objectives of the overall rehabilitation/construction needs for projects in IDP camps, Host communities, and health facilities including OTP sites/stabilization centers in accordance with relevant minimum standards (WASH, Health, GBV, etc.).
· Design appropriate, where and as necessary phased, technical interventions to ensure safe and high quality health care delivery at facilities, including in preparation for and during infectious disease outbreak response.
· In coordination with WASH lead, select and design appropriate water supply solutions to ensure security of water supply for the camps and health facilities.
· Provide design solutions to ensure appropriate sanitation systems (to include excreta disposal, vector control, waste treatment and disposal, drainage), taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs, financial limitations and cultural norms.
· Work with the WASH assistants to develop IMC Nigeria Social behavior change communication strategy and design IEC materials for the dissemination of hygiene promotion messages in camps and host community host.
· Oversee the development of cost effective plans, drawings and bill of quantities (BoQ). Work with Logistics for any technical materials verification. With support from Logistics, manage, monitor and interpret all contract design documents supplied by contractors.
Management and Implementation
· Plan and manage the implementation of infrastructural works including hygiene promotion in camps and hos communities and prioritized WASH activities in full consultation and co-ordination with relevant IMC staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
· Organize, with the logistics and finance departments materials and support needed for all infrastructure activities.
· Through capacity building and on site skills transfer, build a technical team that is multi-skilled, flexible and has capacity to work autonomously. Design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring and evaluation systems for construction projects;
· Supervisor all WASH technicians and WASH Assistants in accordance with IMC HR procedures and policies and maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
· Ensure that performance objective for WASH technicians and WASH Assistants are set and staffs are appraised as per IMC policies and procedures;
· Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA)
· Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within IMC and amongst beneficiaries served by IMC.
Compliance & Ethics:
· Promote and encourage a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
· As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Information and Co-ordination
· Provide regular updates to supervisor and team on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing.
· Represent IMC to private, governmental and non-governmental groups as and when needed.
· Provide support to the WASH technical team to ensure construction guidelines are followed
· Supervise and manage IMC WASH Technicians and WASH assistants who undertake routine maintenance and construction activities in the camp as well as hygiene promotion;
Skills and Competencies:
· Proficient knowledge of AUTOCAD and preparation of bill of quantities (BoQ) essential;
· A good understanding of WASH software including hygiene promotion techniques and methodologies;
· A good understanding of the Ministry of works guidelines
· A good understanding of donor procedures especially USAID guidelines;
· Good organizational, forecasting and planning skills especially as it relates to construction and civil works
· An understanding of requirements of a rapid response emergency operation.
· Attention to detail and excellent numeracy.
· Diplomacy, tact and communication and negotiation skills.
· Fluent spoken and written English and Nigerian local dialects
· Flexibility, adaptability to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
· Bachelor Degree in Civil or Construction Engineering; an MSC would be preferred;
· 3 years’ experience supervising WASH projects within Nigeria or other countries;
· Ability to interact with both national and international staff;
· Strong understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential;
· High computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft office: Word, Excel, internet as well as AutoCAD;
· Excellent communication skills in English (spoken and written);
· Capacity to work under stressful situation and strong organizational and time management skills and capacity to coordinate work across multiple departments and on site;
· Willingness to travel throughout the project areas in Bono State is required
· Must be extremely flexible, willing to follow instructions and work within very strict guidelines; and
· Must have the ability to cope well in a stressful, and fast paced environment.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Ethical conduct for IMC staffs:
· International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts. No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported/ by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved. Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award. IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreement. These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agent.
How to apply
Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted. **
All applications should be addressed to the Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps via the email:
We are an equal opportunity organization So Maiduguri Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
Deadline for submission is 7th April, 2020.