Science Communication Intern
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International (Cl) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, Cl is helping to build a healthier, more prosperous and productive planet.
As part of the Moore Center for Science - Resilience team, this intern will help to promote technical content and work for the INSPIRE (Identifying new sustainable pathways for investing in a resilient earth) Initiative, a long-term strategy for reducing/avoiding land degradation through scientific tools and research (e.g. the Resilience Atlas, Trends.Earth and Tools4LDN). In doing so, they will support the science communication for the technical tools created within the Science Division at
Conservation International. They will have the opportunity to learn about the environmental non-profit sector and gain first-hand knowledge of Conservation lnternational's projects and programs.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the environment and our planet and is excited by the opportunity to interact with staff from every corner of our organization, and around the world. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who is curious, who is looking to learn new things both about Conservation International and the field of science communications.
This position is a 12 week summer internship.
- Developing a media and communications strategy for science projects and tools
- Designing and editing websites
- Editing and publishing posts for project blogs
- Preparing technical and project summary fact sheets for different audiences (policy makers, scientists, etc.)
- Managing and promoting work on project social media sites
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position is based in Conservation lnternational's office in Crystal City, VA.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment. No travel is expected or required.
- A related background, or coursework/experience in communications or environmental science or science communication.
- Experience with design software
- Experience with website design
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Interest in storytelling
- Great attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Strong work ethic
- Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English, proficiency in Spanish, French, Portuguese or Swahili, a plus.
Please submit resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
- Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled