WASH Project Manager (Generic)
Generic Field Vacancies are based in capital city or main field base in one of our programmes.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
This position is not currently open, but frequently required in the Field.Full time, Normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years.
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). Assess WASH needs, design projects, write proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in WASH delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train WASH staff.
Emergency Relief and Recovery projects in countries of high vulnerability.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the assigned WASH project(s) to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), working to ensure both short / long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for WASH activities in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers, and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the WASH Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of project objectives, and opportunity for feedback.
- Provide staff coaching and technical supervision to develop ownership / responsibility for WASH activities.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the WASH, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology desirable.