Mozambique nationals: Technical Support for the Department of Environmental Health
ToR for Direct Technical Support to the Department of Environmental Health (DSA) of Ministry of Health
Due to the geographical location of the country, widespread poverty; the high concentration of population in informal and high-risk settlements, a network of essential public services and overburdened infrastructure unable to meet social demands, environmental health hazards contribute to a large fraction of diseases and exacerbate morbidity and mortality in Mozambique.
Most of these risks would be avoidable if social, economic and environmental policies, plans and strategies that have a decisive impact on the harmonious and healthy development of human beings were implemented effectively and efficiently.
In Mozambique, considerable interest has been given to traditional environmental health issues such as water, sanitation, hygiene promotion, food safety, chemical safety, occupational health and safety. For example, the overall objective of the recently developed National Environmental Health Strategy (ENSA), in line with the current Strategic Health Sector Plan (PESS, 2014-2019), is "to contribute to reducing the incidence and prevalence of diseases related to environmental determinants of health".
Emerging issues, such as the health impacts of climate change and air pollution, impose new challenges on public health. In addition to responding to this emerging health problem there is a need to ensure that existing plans, strategies, policies and approaches at central, provincial, district and municipal level are aligned with the Government's Five-Year Programme. Furthermore, relevant regional frameworks on health and environment, including the Libreville Declaration (2008) and the African inter-ministerial process on health and environment and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDS) need to be aligned to make sure relevant environmental determinates of health are well addressed.
The Department of Environmental Health (DSA) is responsible for implementing activities related to environmental health in Mozambique. As the number of staff and technical capacity of the DSA is in its growth phase, there are still challenges for implementation of environmental health activities and functions of DSA. Thus, there is a need to provide direct technical support for the implementation of ENSA including climate change and health.
As part of DIDF support project on climate resilient Water, sanitation and Health WHO Country Office planned to provide direct technical support to DSA in the Ministry of Health. In this context, this term of reference has been developed for the recruitment of incumbent for 12 months (SSA contract)
The purpose of this recruitment is to provide technical assistance and support in developing institutional capacity for the implementation of the core activities of the National Environmental Health Strategy of the MISAU.
Description of functions
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Environmental Health Department in the MOH, with direct supervision and technical guidance of Healthier Population Cluster Coordinator - WCO, the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will be seconded to MoH and will work closely with the Head of the Environmental Health Department and perform the following functions:
Provide technical support in the core areas of ENSA:
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene;
- Safe food;
- Climate Change and Health;
- Air pollution;
- Chemical Safety;
- Occupational Health and Safety; and
- Health security.
- Support the DSA in the development, adoption and implementation of operational plan for the existing National Environmental Health Strategy (ENSA) and PESS;
- Support and facilitate the implementation of climate change and health projects supported by WHO and MoH
- Support the strengthening of the intra and intersectoral coordination mechanism for the management of environmental health risks;
- Support the functionality of multi-sectoral environmental health structures;
- Develop/Adapt and ensure the availability and accessibility of international technical guidelines and tools for environmental health for the Ministry of Health, including translation into Portuguese;
- Support the MoH to manage and participate in national environmental health intersectoral policies and plans;
- Support and provide capacity building and training on water, sanitation and hygiene; climate change and health; WASH in health care facilities
- and other environmental health areas
- Contribute to the development of the WHO Country Office programme on environmental health areas;
- Participate in meetings at WHO whenever requested;
- Support the preparation of technical reports on the DSA when requested;
- Prepare the final report of the assistance provided to the DSA and submit it to WHO;
- Perform other tasks as requested by supervisors.
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Essential: Degree in Environmental Health, Environmental Management, Biological Sciences; Anthropology; Public Health, or equivalent
- < >: Master’s Degree in Environmental Health, Environmental Management, Public Health or any relevant area.Experience
- More than five (05) years of experience working extensively on environmental health issues, such as interventions, capacity building training, guidelines, strategy and policy formulation with focus on water, sanitation and hygiene; and climate change and health
- Experience in producing evidence-based documents for decision making through literature review and field exercises;
- Experience in leadership on critical health issues and working with partners in joint action and coordination;
- Experience in developing concept notes;
- Experience in organizing and facilitating training/courses;
- Experience of working with MoH in the area of environmental health at district, provincial and at national level are an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge in written and spoken Portuguese
- Intermediate knowledge in written and spoken English;
- Good group work relationship and communication skills;
- Excellent word processing skills, Microsoft excel spreadsheets; PowerPoint and statistical data analysis and graphical representation of results.
- Improved institutional technical capacity leading to ENSA activities.
- 12 months
Maputo based at MISAU
- NOB level Step I
Logistics and other provisions
- WHO will provide necessary logistics for the tasks outside Maputo.
Terms of payment