Canada nationals: Snow and Groundwater Networks Technology Specialist)
Snow and Groundwater Networks Technology Specialist
Scientific/Technical Officer R24
An eligibility list may be established.
It's your time to Achieve, Excel and Succeed in this career building role
The Snow and Groundwater Networks Technology Specialist leads the continuous technical enhancement of the BC Snow Survey Program’s Automated Snow Weather Stations and the Provincial Groundwater Observation Well Network.
The BC Snow Survey Program dates to 1935 and collects continuous high elevation snow and climate data to support the management of flood risk and water resources, support climate science, and to provide backcountry weather information to the general public. This position will support the technology deployed at 44 automated snow weather stations operated by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy across BC.
The Provincial Groundwater Observation Well Network program collects, interprets and reports information about groundwater quantity and chemistry.
216 observation wells provide data from various developed aquifers in B.C. The network was established in 1961, and archived data from previous years allows for the monitoring of groundwater patterns and trends.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Combination of education and relevant experience:
- Technical Diploma in Resource Management, Physical Geography, Climatology, Meteorology, Environmental Monitoring, or related discipline and 5 years directly related experience, or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Resource Management, Physical Geography, Climatology, Meteorology, Environmental Monitoring, or related discipline and 3 years directly related experience; or
- Master’s Degree in Resource Management, Physical Geography, Climatology, Meteorology, Environmental Monitoring or related discipline and 1 year directly related experience; or
- Other relevant equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training may be considered.
- Experience in environmental monitoring and reporting.
- Experience using snow survey, groundwater monitoring, meteorological, or environmental monitoring technology.
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing groundwater and/or meteorological monitoring networks and instrumentation.
- Experience establishing program and/or project objectives and priorities.
- Experience in evaluating environmental and/or weather monitoring technology and infrastructure.
- Experience developing and documenting standards and procedures.
- Experience communicating effectively, positively, and tactfully, with clients, external stakeholders, contractors and/or other government staff, including when differing viewpoints, pressures or priorities are present.
Preference may be given to applicants with any of the following:
- Experience validating and summarizing snow and groundwater data.
- Experience writing technical and non-technical reports.
- Experience developing and delivering training materials on operation and maintenance of monitoring technology.
- Experience with managing datasets, data entry and/or metadata.
PROVISOS/ WILLINGNESS STATEMENTS
- Must be willing to travel extensively across the Province, including for fieldwork.
- Travel and work on weekends may be required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid B.C. driver’s license or equivalent.
- Meet safety standards of Work Safe BC when working in the field.
- Conduct field work which may include: travel to remote areas by vehicle, air, boat, snow machine, or foot; overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather conditions; lifting and carrying over 50 pounds.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES - Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Scientific and Technical