Technical Officer (Water - Scoring)
Job purpose and background:
CDP is seeking a highly motivated, flexible technical officer who thrives in a fast paced, varied and autonomous environment. This is an exciting opportunity to join the scoring team which assesses the disclosure of thousands of companies in order to generate a score that is a snapshot of a company’s performance in one of 3 environmental themes: Climate change, Water and Forests.
The successful candidate will join the scoring team and be involved in all aspects of the team’s work, including; contributing to the development of the scoring methodologies; training scoring partners and CDP staff; running the annual scoring process, which includes updating the relevant IT tools; and publishing the scores. All aspects of the work must be delivered to tight timelines. The scoring team’s success depends on good stakeholder management and an important component of both following - and improving - agreed upon processes.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with the scoring team to deliver CDP’s annual scoring cycle, including
- Developing internal and external communication and training materials on scoring
- Training external scoring partners and managing relationships with them
- Responding to technical queries about implementation of the scoring methodologies.
- Developing, testing and supporting scoring IT tools
- Carrying out and taking responsibility for quality assurance and data quality processes on scoring
- Managing relationships with internal stakeholders
- Analysis of scoring data and trends
- Development of new scoring methodologies and improvement of existing methodologies
- Continuous improvement of team processes and procedures
- Supporting the wider scoring team developing and delivering scoring methodologies and related guidance disclosure that apply to companies, both specific to an industry sector and general across multiple sectors;
- Preparing presentations and presenting information to colleagues and companies;
- Delivering internal and external communications materials
Required skills and experience:
- Academic and/or professional experience in corporate sustainability, specifically as it relates to water management;
- An up-to-date knowledge of environmental issues, and, in particular, water issues facing businesses and investors;
- Strong prioritization, time management and organizational skills, with an ability to work effectively under pressure, whilst still paying attention to detail;
- The ability to understand, organize and analyze qualitative and quantitative data;
- An ability to quickly process complex information, and a logical approach to problem-solving
- Facility with IT tools, including proficiency in MS tools including excel for data analysis;
- Proven ability to learn and become proficient in new IT systems quickly;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and an excellent standard of written English;
- Flexible, friendly and diligent working style with a proven record of working within a team to deliver projects successfully;
Desirable skills and experience
- Knowledge of data analysis languages such as R, basic programming skills;
- Demonstrable ability to synthesize complex technical information and communicate it effectively to a non-technical audience, verbally or in writing;
- Experience developing benchmarks or KPIs to measure corporate sustainability progress;
- Experience working with international teams and managing relationships;
- Familiarity with relevant organizations, standards and reporting systems working in corporate water management such as: GRI, CEO Water mandate, WRI Aqueduct, WWF Water risk filter.
This is a full-time fixed term contract to 30 November 2020 based at CDP’s Central London office.
Salary and benefits: £22,223-£33,000 dependant on experience, flexible working, annual discretionary bonus, 30 days' holiday, generous non-contributory pension provision, life assurance and others
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the UK.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Senior Technical Officer, Water – Scoring’ in the subject. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.