Scope of the position:
Representation of Remote Sensing in research and teaching at the University of Potsdam, with a focus on Earth and environmental sciences, in addition to heading the section “Re-mote Sensing and Geoinformatics” at the GFZ.
The successful candidate will significantly advance interdisciplinary remote sensing research in Earth System Science, and enhance GFZ´s leading role in hyperspectral satellite missions.
He/She/They will lead and develop an established, interdisciplinary and internationally connected team with more than 40 employees, within the framework of the GFZ’s overarching objectives.
Research of the GFZ Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics Section focuses particularly on the following fields:
- Application-oriented development of remote sensing research based on multi-temporal observation of bio- and geophysical parameters as well as surface deformation using op-tical and radar remote sensing systems for a broad spectrum of research questions with-in geo- and environmental sciences.
- Scientific leadership of the German hyperspectral satellite mission EnMAP as well as involvement in the definition of future hyperspectral satellite missions.
- Development of methods for information extraction from large and complex data sets which are acquired by remote sensing and in-situ sensors as well as derived from simu-lation models and geo-archives (data mining/machine learning, visual data exploration as well as database and Big Data oriented technologies).
Research and teaching will be carried out in close cooperation with the Institute of Geosci-ences and the Institute of Environmental Sciences and Geography of the University of Pots-dam. The professorship will be established at one of these institutes, taking into considera-tion the profile and expertise of the successful candidate. The Professor will have teaching responsibilities of 2 hours per week per semester (2 SWS) in the M.Sc. degree program Re-mote Sensing, GeoInformation and Visualization as well as in the B.SC. and M.Sc. degree programs Geoecology and Geosciences. Courses will be taught in German and in English. Close networking with the numerous partner institutions in the Berlin-Brandenburg region within the framework of Geo.X as well as with other national and international teaching and research institutions is expected.
Applicants must have an outstanding, internationally recognized scientific record in the field of remote sensing. Key requirements include:
- Doctoral degree in geosciences or environmental sciences
- Outstanding expertise of optical remote sensing with special focus on imaging spectros-copy
- Research focus in remote sensing of Earth surface processes and properties (e.g. mat-ter fluxes, water and carbon cycles, natural hazards, land degradation, mineral re-sources)
- Scientific interest in the development of remote sensing sensor technology and analysis methods for remote sensing data
- Preferably expertise in additional remote sensing domains (e.g. radar remote sensing, multi-sensor approaches)
- Proficiency in acquisition and direction of large, third-party funded projects
- Experience in leading a large interdisciplinary research group
- Proven competence in the areas of management, and personnel development / career advancement of young people
- Teaching experience in the field of remote sensing
- Knowledge in the supervision of qualification theses (BSc, MSc, PhD)
How to apply
Please contact Prof. Dr. Harald Schuh (firstname.lastname@example.org) with respect to any further questions regarding the position.
The joint professorship is being filled under the Jülich Model, with a teaching obligation of at least 2 hours per week at the University of Potsdam.
The following application requirements for professors must be documented in accordance with Section 41 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act (Brandenburgisches Hochschulge-setz, BbgHG): a completed university degree, pedagogical aptitude, and a particular ability for scientific and scholarly work, typically documented by a dissertation project; comprehen-sive competence in science management and additional scholarly achievements as evi-denced by a Habilitation (post-doctoral dissertation), a junior professorship or work as a re-search associate at an institution of higher education or an extramural research institution, or scholarly activity in the private sector or in another social field, whether in Germany or abroad. The appointment procedure is conducted in accordance with Section 40 BbgHG.
The University of Potsdam and the GFZ aim to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore invite qualified female applicants to apply. The University of Potsdam and the GFZ value the diversity of its members and pursue the goals of equal op-portunities regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, disability, age, sexual orientation or identity. In the case of equal suitability, women within the meaning of Section 7 (4) BbgHG and severely disabled people will be given preferential consideration. We expressly invite applications from abroad and from persons with a migration background.
The University of Potsdam offers dual career support and coaching for newly-appointed pro-fessors: www.uni-potsdam.de/berufungen.html.
Please submit your application (including presentation of your research interests, cur-riculum vitae, copies of academic certificates and documents, list of publications, list of courses taught, teaching evaluation, list of externally funded projects) via e-mail to the University of Potsdam at email@example.com (in a single PDF file) by 31st March 2020.