Assistant Professor (Water Resources Engineer)
The Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department invites applications for an Assistant Professor position in water related research and outreach. This is a nine-month, full-time, benefits-eligible, tenure-track, faculty position in the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering and the Water Resources Institute at South Dakota State University in Brookings, SD. This position is supervised by the Department Head of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate outreach that addresses the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
The appointment will be predominantly research but some outreach is expected as part of the Water Resources Institute responsibilities. The incumbent will be expected to teach one graduate class per year. The incumbent will develop a research program and activities that address water issues related to agriculture. This position will require close working relationships within the Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering Department, all faculty and staff on campus involved in precision agriculture, the Water Resources Institute, and other departments on the SDSU campus, East Dakota Water Development District, government agencies, commodity associations, granting agencies, and other Universities.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and conduct research focused on water issues associated with agricultural production. Programming will include: 1) establish a research program to evaluate and address water-related issues related to production agriculture at the watershed scale; 2) provide leadership and establish collaboration or partnerships in water management with graduate students, faculty in other departments and universities, extension educators and specialists, government agencies, the agricultural community, commodity groups, and agribusinesses to enhance water-related research; 3) secure external funding; 4) present and publish research results; 5) support the Water Resources Institute outreach mission by interacting with the public to provide answers to water-related questions; and 6) contribute to the University and professional communities.
• Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
• Ph.D. degree in Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering or closely related discipline by date of appointment.
• Demonstrated ability or potential to develop a quality research program to evaluate and address water-related issues related to production agriculture at the watershed scale.
• Demonstrated ability or potential to present and publish research results.
• Potential to secure extramural funding.
• Demonstrated ability or potential to develop and present outreach materials
• Must be able to interact and communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) with colleagues, staff, students, producer groups, and other clientele.
• Demonstrated skills in teamwork and interpersonal relations.
• Must have a valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and be willing to travel.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Midwest or Great Plains agricultural production practices;
• Demonstrated ability in monitoring network design and data analysis;
• Demonstrated ability or potential to mentor and support graduate students;
• Knowledge of governmental environmental quality policies and statutes;
• Registered or eligible to pursue registration as a Professional Engineer.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.