Philippines nationals: Local Consultant: Technical Coordinator for WASH
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
UNICEF has been an active partner of the Government of the Philippines and civil society in realizing the rights of every Filipino child, in line with priorities to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. UNICEF efforts have been focused on the most vulnerable regions identified by the Government of the Philippines Development Plan, particularly in the regions of Visayas and Mindanao. To ensure that interventions are sustainable and scaled up, UNICEF will support primarily local government units (LGUs) as the main instruments of delivering services and building systems. The level of engagement with government institutions will take into account capacities, economies of scale and sector issues.
It has a field office in Cotabato City, the second largest city in Mindanao, southern Philippines, with some 300,000 population. The city is the regional administrative centre of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao and over 80 percent of the population is Muslim. Mindanao is both conflict-affected and prone to frequent earthquakes and typhoon storms.
Visit this link for more information on Philippine Country Office: https://www.unicef.org/philippines/
How can you make a difference?
The Consultant is Expected to Provide Direct Technical Support to the Municipal Governments of Calbayog City, Catbalogan City, Gandara, San Jose de Buan, Santa Margarita, Taranghan, and Pagsanghan in Samar; and to the Provincial Government of Samar, and with a Potential to Cover other Priority Municipalities, as agreed with the Local Government Partners.
Under the Technical Supervision of the UNICEF WASH Specialist and in Close Coordination with the UNICEF EMM team, the Specific Objectives of this Consultancy are to:
- Coordinate with and Advocate to Local Chief Executives, Provincial/Municipal Health Offices and Barangay Councils to Facilitate and Generate Sustained Buy-In of Decision Makers and Program Managers on Implementing PhATSS, as part of the F1KD Integrated Program.
- Ensure Well-Coordinated Technical Assistance Support (from Other Implementing Partners) to Partner LGUs.
- Provide Direct Technical Support (Design and Facilitate Technical Trainings, Provide Mentoring/Coaching on WASH Program Management and Partnerships) to the Provincial Governments of Samar, and Selected Municipalities in Implementing and Monitoring the WASH Component of the F1KD Integrated Program.
Document Processes, Case Studies, Training and Meeting/Workshop Proceedings, especially at the LGU Level, to Build the Evidence on Modelling PhATSS, as well as the Integrated F1KD Program.
- Task 1. Ensure Timely and Well-Coordinated Technical Assistance Support to Partner LGUs.
- Task 2: Provide Direct Technical Support to Provincial, Municipal Government Counterparts in Implementing and Monitoring PhATSS/WASH Program.
- Task 3: Document Processes, Case Studies, Training and Meeting/Workshop Proceedings to Build the Evidence-Base on the Modelling for PhATSS and F1KD.
1. WASH Technical Inputs Provided for Joint F1KD Advocacy Meetings/Briefings to LCEs and Relevant Councils at Provincial and Municipal Levels (8 days) Quarterly.
2. Document and Provide Technical Assistance in the Conduct of Quarterly Program Management Meetings of the Provincial WASH Council in Samar to Include Status Update on Local Policy Creating Sectoral Coordination Body for WASH and PhATSS Verification Teams (13 days) Quarterly.
3. Updated Provincial Technical Assistance Plan for 2020 / End Year Review of the TA Plan – Samar (4days) 1st & 4th Quarters.
4. Six Provincial-Level Training/Mentoring Sessions on any of the following, depending on Identified Capacity Gaps: (30 days).
- New PhATSS Policy and Verification Guidelines
- PhATSS Diagnostic Tool
- WASH Sectoral Planning and Budgeting (LSSP/iWASH)
- Local Ordinances Related to PhATSS (ZOD, Animal Excreta, Solid Waste, Septage Management, Water Safety Plan, Water Quality Monitoring)
- Community Led Total Sanitation
- WASH/PhATSS Program Monitoring
- WASH Communication Campaign
- WASH in Emergencies
5. Ten Training/ Technical Support Missions to Selected Municipal LGUs in Implementing and Monitoring PhATSS/WASH Programs (50 days) Quarterly.
6. Document the Technical Trainings Provided and/or Support Documentation Process (16 days) Quarterly.
7. 11 x Monthly Progress Report on the Implementation of PhATSS/WASH Program at the Provincial and Municipal Levels, including an Updated Database of the Key PhATSS Program Indicators (110 days) Monthly.
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Consultant
- The Candidate must have a Degree in Sanitary Engineering or Civil Engineering or other Degree Related to Environmental Health, Hygiene, Sanitation, and Behavior Change.
- Knowledge of Government Policies Pertaining to WASH, Health, Nutrition, Gender, and Children.
- Knowledge on Existing Laws, Rules, and Regulations on Sanitation and its Implementation in the Philippines will be an Advantage
- Excellent Technical Writing Skills
- 5 Years Experience in Analysis, Design, and Implementation of Policies, Strategies, and Programmes for the Delivery of Basic Services such as Health, Nutrition, and WASH Programs to Poor Rural Households
- Experience in:
- Community Based WASH, Health, or Nutrition Programs
- Community Development, Participatory Programming, and Local Governance
- Local Government Policies, Planning, and Financing
- Implementing the Philippines Approach to Sustainable Sanitation is an advantage
- Designing and Facilitating Trainings on Low Cost Toilet Designs an advantage
- Producing Guidance Notes and Process Documentation
Languages: Fluency in English and local language is desirable.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas and systems
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts convincingly in written and oral form
- Proven ability to plan, manage, monitor the effective use and safekeeping of fixed assets and financial resources
- Ability to plan, coordinate and manage multiple activities and adjust to changing priorities
- Ability to organize and implement training and to supporting teams to build capacity
- Good interpersonal skills; sensitivity to partner's needs and expectations and maintaining open communication
Innovative, able to take risk and able to lead or participate in change to keep operations working; practical solution oriented.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 29 February 2020. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: 530091 will be considered.
All candidates are requested to submit a COVER LETTER, and the duly filled P 11 form which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc indicating three (3) previous supervisors. Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted.
By applying through our Talent Management System (TMS) you agree to our privacy statement which is in line with the Philippines Data Privacy Act. You are strongly advised to read carefully through the privacy statement before submitting your application.
"UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles."
Opening Date Thu Feb 20 2020 04:00:00 GMT+0300 (Arabian Standard Time) Singapore Standard Time
Closing Date Sat Feb 29 2020 18:55:00 GMT+0300 (Arabian Standard Time)