Reference Number: 15/02/2020/TE/WASCA/Bangalore
Project: Water Security and Climate Adaptation in Rural India (WASCA)
Position: Technical Expert
Location: Bangalore (Karnataka)
How to Apply: Please send your application in GIZ application form https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/28418.html along with the following to with the reference number in subject line.
1. a statement of suitability for this position.
2. expected salary and notice period
3. 2 pager note on any one of the topic given below
• Application of GIS in integrated water resources management (IWRM) with examples.
• What are the key challenges and solutions in convergence of stakeholders in integrated water resource management?
About GIZ India click on: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/368.html
Water Security and Climate Adaptation in Rural India (WASCA) is an Indo-German Project, commissioned by the BMZ in partnership with the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) and the Ministry of Jal Shakti in India for three years, April 2019 – March 2022. The project is active at national level and in five states namely, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
The project targets to improve the existing planning and financing mechanisms for climate-resilient water resource management. Secondly, the project intends to build evidence by demonstrating water management measures in project States. Lastly, the project targets to establish and strengthen public-private partnerships for enhancing rural water security.
For more details, click on: https://www.giz.de/en/worldwide/75372.html
For these objectives, the WASCA project is currently recruiting one (1) Indian candidate for the following position: Technical Expert for project coordination in Karnataka.
The technical expert will be based in Bangalore, Karnataka and will work very closely with the Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Department, and the Jalamrutha programme. Apart from the state level, project is operational in Shivamogga and Tumkur Districts in the State.
The Technical Expert is responsible for:
• Leading the project planning and implementation in Karnataka – at the state level in Bangalore, and district level in Shivamogga and Tumkur.
• Providing technical input and policy advice to the WASCA project stakeholders in Karnataka on integrated and climate resilient water resource management.
• Supporting operational planning and stakeholder management in the state.
• Contributing to conceptual and strategic development of project goals and activities in close collaboration with the team.
The Technical Expert performs the following tasks:
1. Advisory support:
• Technical input on integrated and climate resilient water resource management for planning and implementation of project activities.
• Policy advocacy with the national and state Governments, as well as other project stakeholders on issues of water security and climate adaptation.
• Need based support to states for technical input at stakeholder consultations and meetings on project related matters.
2. Application of specialist knowledge and expertise:
• Provide technical, conceptual and methodological inputs for the project and its partners on integrated water resource management and climate adaptation.
• Provide technical inputs on capacity building of stakeholders through module development and facilitating training sessions on project topics.
• Provide technical inputs on use of digital technologies including GIS (Geographical Information System), remote sensing, other spatial and non-spatial data required for improving water security and climate adaptation.
3. Others :
• Assistance in assessment of the consultancy/contract requirements, preparation of terms of references for tendering and evaluation of received bids.
• Assist in managing the contracts including facilitating the appointed consultants for successful completion of the assigned contracts.
• Help to promote the overall GIZ current and future portfolio on environment, climate change and natural resource management.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience:
• Post Graduate Degree in Hydrology/water resource management/ Environmental Sciences or comparable degrees.
• PhD in the mentioned specializations is an added advantage.
Required Professional Experience:
• Minimum of 10 years of proven work experience in integrated water resource management, watershed management programmes, climate resilient water resource management, natural resource management.
• experience in project management, multi-stakeholder coordination, capacity building of technical personnel on rural development programmes
• Experience of working with or for the Governments at the national/ State levels in India is desired.
• Experience of working with or for development cooperation in India with international bi-lateral or multilateral donors/ financing organisations is an added advantage.
• Experience of handling GIS based natural resource management projects/tasks.
Other knowledge, additional competences:
• Excellent computer skills: MS-Office, Internet Explorer, MS-Outlook
Location: The candidate will be based at in Bangalore, Karnataka.
Duration of the contract: Until December 2021
Languages: Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required. Kannada will be an added advantage.
Travel: The position requires extensive travel within Karnataka, and occasional travel to Delhi and outside India.
Last date of receiving applications: 01 March 2020
Application without GIZ application form will not be considered.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• GIZ supports Work-Life Balance.
• GIZ promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
Disclaimer: As per GIZ’s data confidentiality policy, candidate’s application is stored in our database for 6 (six) months and is deleted thereafter.