WASH Program Manager (Northeast Syria)
Desired start date:As soon as possible
Duration of the mission:6 months – 9 months
Location: Northeast Syria – Hassaké & Erbil (Iraq)
SI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs.
The SI Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
About the job
SI is looking for a WASH Program Manager, based in Erbil and remotely managing our activities in Northeast Syria, for the region of Hassaké / Deir-Ez-Or.
Placed under the supervision of the Field Coordinator for Programs and the functional support of the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Program Manager leads SI’s emergency WASH response, with a particular focus on IDPs.
- Carry out the emergency WASH Program comprised of water supply (water trucking essentially), hygiene promotion sessions, construction of emergency latrines and showers, as well as waste management.
- Additional activities under the job incumbent’s responsibilities could include WASH in school and WASH in health facilities.
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Complex environment with highly volatile security situation, with limited operational visibility
- Remote management, with no access to areas of implementation and exchanges with the teams
Very important operational volume, with intervention on a large diversity of sites
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering is strongly preferred.
- Alternatively, strong technical skills must be clearly proven by means of extended professional experience with engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as emergency WASH Program Manager.
- Proven previous experience in unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country).
- Experience in remote project management would be an asset.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- WASH response for IDPs in collective sites as a response to early-onset emergencies in conflict areas.
- Knowledge in the construction of emergency sanitation infrastructure, including but not limited to latrines, bathing shelters, handwashing point, waste management systems, rehabilitation of water networks, including network extension, emergency water trucking, chlorination and water quality analysis.
- Skills in hygiene promotion, including distribution of NFIs and targeting, and integration of protection, health, menstrual hygiene management in hygiene promotion.
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong management skills
- Diplomacy and coordination skills
- Strong management and training/capacity-building skills and particularly capacities to provide distance technical support
- Display initiative with solid organizational and communication skills
- Fluent English is mandatory
- Arabic or Kurdish will be an asset
SI will offer you
A salaried position: from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) according to experience, and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Accommodation will be in SI guesthouses which are spacious and very comfortable.
In Erbil, the security situation is stable (no curfew), with possibilities to socialize due to the presence of other INGOS and places to socialize (bars, restaurants, etc).
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/