The Communications Coordinator will be responsible to build SEI Africa’s continental and international profile, develop and implement SEI’s Africa’s Communications Strategy, manage and coordinate SEI Africa’s communication needs according to the organization’s policies, provide communication support to SEI projects, and manage Centre events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the preparation of the Centre Communications Strategy in line with SEI Strategy 2020-2024, and the preparation of the Annual Centre Communications Plan
- Manage the Centre’s knowledge management activities in liaison with the Centre’s Knowledge Management and Learning (MEL) Focal Point
- Lead and coordinate SEI outreach activities that include media appearances, public presentations, science-policy dialogues, media briefings, and preparation of articles for specialist publications as appropriate
- Contribute to strengthening the relationship between the Centre and other partners through joint research, policy engagement and capacity development activities
- Coordinate and lead the development of the Centre’s outreach documents, publications and materials (annual report, brochures, factsheets, etc.), and work with the Global Communications team in ensuring wide dissemination of the outreach materials
- Manage the Centre’s digital presence, including websites and social media content (e.g. blogs, Twitter, Facebook), and monitor trends in social media
Project specific tasks
- Lead communications component across Centre projects, including developing and implementing project communication plans, coordinating project communication outputs, and delivering project communication activities on time and within budget
- Contribute to grant preparations, including reviewing and editing proposals, developing communication plans (audiences, channels, activities, budget), and outreach to different target groups for larger projects
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance
- Managing resources
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- A Master’s degree, preferably in Communications, Science Communications, Journalism, or Communication-related fields
- Experience working for an international organization
- Experience in science writing and event management
- At least 10 years of progressive working experience in the field of communications, and/or journalism and related areas, preferably in Africa
- Expert knowledge of social networking channels and demonstrated experience in administering social media platforms is essential
- Fluency in English is required; fluency also in Kiswahili is preferred; fluency in French is an added advantage
About SEI and SEI Africa
SEI is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. In 2019, SEI was ranked 1st as the leading environment think tank in the world in the Global Go To Think Tank Report, compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has about 200 staff members working at eight research Centres around the world. Our Centres are located in the United Kingdom (SEI-York and SEI-Oxford), the United States (SEI-USA in Boston with sub-units in Seattle and locations in California), in Estonia (SEI Tallinn Centre), in Bangkok, Thailand (SEI Asia Centre), in Bogota, Colombia (SEI Latin America Center), and in Nairobi, Kenya (SEI Africa Centre). SEI headquarters are located centrally in Stockholm, Sweden.
SEI Africa Centre is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya.