Watershed Conservation Internships (2)
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is seeking two summer interns for the Watershed Conservation Program’s Allegheny Regional Office, based in Ridgway, Elk County, PA. The interns will work under the supervision of assigned Watershed Conservation staff. These internship opportunities are supported by the Stackpole-Hall Foundation Summer Jobs Program and PHEAA.
Position Duration: Summer of 2020; two positions are available for up to 480 hours each. Tentative dates are May 4, 2020 to August 7, 2020; confirmed dates will be determined by PHEAA program.
Location: 159 Main Street, Ridgway, PA 15845
Job Description: The interns will assist with implementing a variety of watershed restoration projects and aquatic surveys, in close coordination with Watershed Conservation staff. Duties may include assisting in the areas of:
- Water quality monitoring & assessment
- Watershed restoration
- Agricultural best management practices
- Volunteer training
- Project design, planning, and implementation
- Biological survey work focusing on macroinvertebrates, various fish species, hellbender salamanders, and freshwater mussels
- Completion of or progress toward a degree in biology, watershed science, stream ecology, environmental studies or a related field
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
- Able to travel to various worksites and willing to work some evenings, weekends, and overnight trips, as needed
- The ability to conduct field research in remote locations as a part of a team is essential for this position
- Job requires the ability to traverse rugged terrain while carrying at least 50 pounds of sampling gear in a variety of weather conditions, and assist with strenuous physical duties including heavy lifting and using hand/power tools to complete construction activities
Pay: $10 per hour
- Step 1: To apply send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and list Watershed Intern in the subject line.
- Step 2: Applicants must also complete a PHEAA Work Study application available online through the Stackpole-Hall Foundation Summer Jobs Program website. (The PHEAA application will be available in March 2020.)
Application deadline: Open until the position is filled or by June 30, 2020.