U.S. nationals: Watershed Conservation
The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is seeking one Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corps AmeriCorps member to work within the watershed conservation program for a total of 300 hours. The position offers a stipend and Ed award. The service member will work under the supervision of assigned watershed conservation staff.
Position Duration: April 4, 2020 – August 8, 2020
Location: 1067 Philadelphia Street, Suite 101, Indiana, Pa. 15701
Job Description: The service member will assist with implementing a variety of watershed restoration projects and aquatic surveys, in close coordination with watershed conservation staff. Duties will include assisting with:
- Water quality monitoring and assessment;
- Watershed restoration, including riparian tree plantings and instream habitat projects;
- Volunteer training;
- Biological survey work focusing on macroinvertebrates, various fish species, freshwater mussels and hellbender salamanders is possible;
- Delivering educational programs to watershed conservation program constituents, including K-12 programs; and
- Extensive overnight travel (required).
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in biology, watershed science, stream ecology, environmental studies or a related field;
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision;
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel;
- Ability to travel to various worksites and a willingness to work some evenings, weekends and overnight trips as needed;
- Ability to conduct field research in remote locations is essential;
- Ability to traverse rugged terrain while carrying at least 50 pounds of sampling gear in a variety of weather conditions is essential; and
- Ability to assist with strenuous physical duties, including heavy lifting and using hand/power tools to complete construction activities, is required.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com and list AmeriCorps Service Member in the subject line. The application deadline is March 1, 2020.