Assistant Professor (Water Science)
WORKING TITLE: Assistant Professor - Water Science
UW SYSTEM OFFICIAL TITLE: Assistant Professor
POSTING DATE: January 31, 2020
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Department of Natural & Applied Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay seeks applicants for a tenure-track position in Water Science. Ideal candidate will be a broadly trained scientist, with expertise in areas of applied science, including Water Science, aqueous or environmental geochemistry, interaction of surface and subsurface waters, or related areas.
Candidates with the ability to teach at least one course in soils, environmental systems, and groundwater systems and who have experience mentoring and training students in the field are strongly encouraged to apply. Expertise in environmental monitoring and/or geospatial technologies, experience procuring extramural funds to support research and outreach activities, and experience publishing research results in peer-reviewed journals are also encouraged to apply.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Teach introductory and upper-level courses in Water Science, aqueous geochemistry, and one or more additional related courses, such as environmental systems, soils, hydrology, one or more groundwater courses, and/or a course utilizing digital applications in water science and management.
- Develop a strong research program involving collaboration with students, faculty, and individuals inside and outside the University.
- Contribute to the master’s program in Environmental Science & Policy.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Perform scholarly activities consistent with rank.
- Perform institutional and community service.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the program in Water Science.
The successful candidate will be expected to work inclusively and respectfully within a diverse campus community and practice civility in the workplace. The University welcomes applicants who are dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of inclusivity and equity as crucial components in the pursuit of organizational excellence.
In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to display a demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching and scholarship and a commitment to undergraduate education. The candidate should also possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with a diverse array of students and colleagues.
- Earned doctorate in a field related to Water Science (e.g., Geochemistry, Geology, Environmental Chemistry, Water Resources, etc.) from an accredited institution. ABD candidates will be considered; however, an earned doctorate in a field related to Water Science from an accredited institution is a necessary condition for contract renewal. ABD candidates will be hired into a terminal appointment at the rank of Instructor with a rate determined at the time of hire. Upon degree conferral during the terminal period, the contracted appointment with the rank of Assistant Professor will be reinstated.