This is a Grade 3 role with a salary between £22,000 and £27,000 per annum (dependent on experience) plus benefits including 8% pension.
This is a one year fixed term contract covering a period of maternity leave and is a full time role of 37.5 hours per week.
The Westcountry Rivers Trust is an environmental charity that works across the South West to improve our rivers for the benefit of all. We work across a range of sectors to deliver change both in our rivers and on the land that they drain.
Do you have a good environmental understanding and a commitment to developing a career in the environmental or conservation sectors? The Westcountry Rivers Trust is looking for a confident and technically capable individual to join our vibrant and passionate team of environmentalists. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, organised and enthusiastic individual able to work to deadlines and under pressure. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about the environment and who have a keen interest in both the collation and analysis of scientific data and the communication of scientific information to a variety of audiences.
To apply: Send your CV and a one page covering letter clearly marked as applying for the job of GIS Specialist to Westcountry Rivers Trust, Rain-Charm House, Kyl Cober Parc, Stoke Climsland, Cornwall PL17 8PH or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission by: 5pm, Friday 28th February 2020. We anticipate that interviews will take place in the weeks commencing 9th March and 16th March.
This specialist role, sitting in the Trust’s Evidence & Engagement Team, will be a one-year fixed term role based at our Head Office in Stoke Climsland, Cornwall.
The post will report to Dr Nick Paling, Head of Evidence & Engagement.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- To collate, analyse and present environmental data and evidence, using a variety of software, to support the integrated river catchment management activities of the Trust, adopting an ecosystem services/natural capital approach.
- To utilise data and evidence from a variety of sources to support initiatives being undertaken by Trust staff and for presentation to external clients and partners.
- To use GIS systems, including ESRI ArcGIS, for spatial data creation or management, spatial analysis and map production.
- To write for both technical and non-technical audiences adjusting the style to suit the different project purposes.
The work undertaken will also make a significant contribution to the consultancy work of the Trust and help it to achieve its objectives of protecting and improving the environment and promoting sustainable development.
Knowledge and Experience
- Good knowledge or background in the environmental or conservation sectors.
- Demonstrable experience of GIS systems, including ESRI ArcGIS, for spatial data creation or management, spatial analysis and the production of professional maps and other outputs communicating spatial data.
- Good data management skills.
- Experience of writing for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Can demonstrate a passion for the natural environment and desire to make a difference in this exciting field of science.
Skills and Competencies
- Adaptable and organised when prioritising workload and able to work to deadlines and manage conflicting demands when working under pressure.
- A proactive approach and evidence of using own initiative with effective problem solving skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, both internally and to external clients, volunteers or members of the public.
- Ability to work in a team and liaise with other internal teams.
- Appropriate Degree level qualification in an environmental discipline.
The following are not essential for the role but would be an advantage:
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of carrying out advanced spatial analysis techniques, such as raster-based analysis, 3D analysis or the use of tools such as Model Builder
- Experience using programming languages, such as Python or R, to carry out statistical analysis or data visualisation
- Experience using ArcGIS Online to produce web-based maps and applications
- Experience in accessing and managing a range of environmental datasets and familiarity with data licensing and metadata.
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant area.