International GIS/spatial planning in aquaculture specialist
FAO's Subregional Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen (SNG) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representations (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level. The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO's Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE).
The specialist will report to the Subregional Coordinator (SRC) in the Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen under functional guidance of the Senior Fisheries and Aquaculture Officer and/or other relevant divisions at FAO headquarters to ensure corporate coherence and quality.
Support to formulation and implementation of FAO’s agenda at the subregional and/or country level on aquaculture and fisheries development. The specific technical area is Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and spatial planning.
Tasks and responsibilities
The International GIS specialist will:
- Undertake needs assessment and integrate gaps identified to provide tailor-made solutions;
- Start with remote sensing data collection to identify y sheltered areas, depth contours, prohibited areas for aquaculture, coastal communities, fishing communities, jetties, fish markets etc.;
- Start GIS analysis of data collected;
- Build local capacities on GIS data collection and analysis;
- Organize, assist in the organization, and actively participate in workshops;
- Prepare reports;
- Provide strategic guidance;
- Provide communication and advocacy materials;
- Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in aquaculture spatial planning, GIS and remote sensing or related educational background;
- 10 years of relevant experience in aquaculture spatial planning, GIS and remote sensing;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French or Spanish.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work;
- Extent and relevance of experience on GIS, remote sensing and spatial planning in aquaculture