IOM recognizes that access to water and sanitation services, paired with hygiene promotion, is life-saving in humanitarian contexts, while sustainable access to water and sanitation services is also critical in the context of resolving displacement situations and building resilience to future shocks and stressors. As a result, the provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services has become a constant feature in IOM operations worldwide. The portfolio of programmes and geographical reach has steadily increased during the last 10 years, with current interventions in some 28 countries, positioning IOM as a leading WASH agency.
This internship is aimed to continue strengthening the capacity of IOM WASH to uphold a position of leadership, supporting the global level coordination in the development and monitoring of country programmes and contributing in the organization’s WASH knowledge management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the IOM Global WASH Coordinator, and overall direction of the Head of the Preparedness and Response Division, the successful candidate will:
- Support in the content development and final graphical production of reports, articles, technical guidance notes documents, presentations and brochures related to IOM WASH.
- Update and maintain the IOM WASH web-based information and communication platforms, including social media.
- Support in the collection and analysis of statistical data from IOM WASH interventions and contribute in the creation of global, regional and country reports to showcase the results of the various analyses.
- Compile lessons learnt and best practices from IOM WASH interventions on key thematic areas, specifically in faecal sludge management, and produce harmonized pieces for further dissemination to internal and external parties.
- Conduct evidence-based research in the thematic priority areas (i.e. Faecal Sludge Management), aimed to inform studies and research work efforts at country level or at headquarters.
- Support in updating and maintaining databases.
- Support in the planning and coordination of events (e.g. meetings, workshops, group field visits, etc), keeping track of the administrative and financial aspects. Take notes of the event proceedings and support in drafting minutes as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the direct supervisor or Head of PRD.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geology, Public Health, or any related discipline;
- Previous experience in the implementation of WASH related projects is desirable.
- Experience in research projects is an advantage.
- Computer literacy in water network analysis, computer aided engineering design and geoinformatics software is desirable. Working knowledge of graphic and web design software is an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English; working knowledge of French is advantageous, Spanish and/or Arabic skill will be an asset;
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following core behavioural IOM competencies:
- Client Orientation
- Continuous Learning
- Creativity and Initiative
- Planning and Organizing
- Technological Awareness
How to apply:
Interested applicants should provide:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational letter
Candidates should send their application to email@example.com with "Internship for Wash Global Support " in the subject line no later than Thursday, 20th February. A reference check would be undertaken only on shortlisted candidates.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.