Ocean Spray is a vibrant agricultural cooperative owned by more than 700 cranberry farmers in the United States, Canada and Chile, who have helped preserve the family farming way of life for generations. The cooperative’s cranberries are currently featured in more than a thousand great-tasting, good-for-you products in over 100 countries worldwide. With more than 2,000 employees and nearly 20 receiving and processing facilities, Ocean Spray is committed to managing our business in a way that respects our communities, colleagues and the environment.
Ocean Spray believes that our colleagues are our best assets and we offer an environment where you can work with exceptionally smart, innovative and passionate teams that are motivated to deliver Ocean Spray products around the world. If you are looking for a rewarding career where you can Grow, Own, Live and Drive your career every day, Ocean Spray is for you!
Who We are Looking For:
Are you passionate about tackling climate change, supporting farmers, and building a more sustainable and just world? Then Ocean Spray’s Global Impact and Sustainability team is a perfect fit for you. The Corporate Affairs department is looking to add a Sustainability intern to its growing Global Impact and Sustainability function for the Summer 2020.
Through These Pillars We Seek To
Ocean Spray’s mission is to connect our farms to families for a better life. Together with our farmer-owners, we are dedicated to the health of people, communities, and our planet. We’re continuously improving our impact by addressing issues such as climate change, food waste, water stewardship, and human rights across our entire business. Our three core pillars keep us aligned to our mission.
- Advance Regenerative Cranberry Agriculture
- Create Sustainable Operations and Supply Chains
- Design Purposeful Products and Packaging
The Sustainability team collaborates with Agriculture Sciences, Marketing, Engineering, Quality, Procurement, Operations, Legal, and Sales to execute these initiatives throughout the Cooperative.
We’re seeking a smart savvy individual who can support initiatives across the sustainability pillars. It is imperative the individual have strong research and analytical skills, be able to maintain harmonious cross-functional collaboration, and develop balanced recommendations for projects.
What You Will Do & What You Will Learn
The intern will support ongoing sustainability projects across pillars and complete an individual research project to present recommendations at the end of the internship. The intern will work alongside the sustainability lead and analyst to advance our global impact and sustainability strategy.
You will learn and be exposed to multiple aspects of integrating sustainability into a branded consumer packaged goods (CPG) company including agricultural production, manufacturing, packaging, and sales. You will have the opportunity to think creatively and learn about pressing global issues. Projects will help hone the intern’s analytical, design, and communication skills.
- Currently pursuing a M.S. in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Business, Political Science or Engineering
- Broad understanding of key environmental and social topics such as climate change, sustainable agriculture, waste, water stewardship, and human rights. Deeper expertise in at least one topic area is preferred
- 1 – 3 years of experience working for an environmental NGO, food and beverage company, or equivalent organization
- Ability to recognize and frame environmental and social issues as business risks and opportunities
- Advanced communication, research, and data analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, especially with various levels within an organization
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and motivation
- Must adapt well to change and be able to prioritize shifting short and long term project deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Duration & Location:
- Position will start June 1, 2020 and run for twelve weeks
- Regular office hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with summer office hours including a shortened workday on Friday (8:00 am-12:30 pm); Working hours are flexible based on meeting times and project travel.
- Position is located at our corporate headquarters in Lakeville, MA (about 45 minutes South of Boston – Exit 6 off of Rte. 495), with options for remote work and working in our Boston WeWork office (located in the Seaport)
Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, as well as individuals with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.