Graduate Sustainability & Resilience Consultant
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
The successful candidate will provide support to AECOM’s Sustainable and Resilient Cities team with a focus on developing resilience and climate adaptation strategies for cities and large urban masterplans. With a good understanding of multi-sector urban challenges and specifically climate change, you will help our clients to understand how they might be impacted and develop forward-looking strategies, policies, and action plans that help them plan for future uncertainty. Working across the EMEA region (Europe, Middle East, Africa), you will be expected to undertake some travel, working remotely with our clients and their teams to develop workshops and stakeholder engagement that form part of the urban strategies
Your key responsibilities, with support from your team, may include the following:
- Support senior consultants in preparing urban action plans
- Analyse climate change and other environmental data
- Provide background research and report writing support
- Develop sustainability strategies for large-scale urban development masterplans
- Prepare, facilitate, and report on workshop and stakeholder engagement activities
- Contribute to project proposals and business development
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
- Bachelor and higher qualification in at least one of urban sustainability, environmental, climate change or other urban planning/development fields
- Good understanding of urban challenges and urban resilience/climate adaptation strategies
- Understanding of the UK and international urban planning and masterplanning processes and approaches
- Understanding of the UK and international policies and agendas informing sustainability and resilience
- Excellent writing ability
- Strong verbal communication and confident presenting to clients
- Strategic thinker
- Strong quantitative/data analytics skills
- Willingness to travel
- Preferable experience of using climate change projections and impact models such as UKCP18
- Preferable experience with climate mitigation/emissions reduction
- Preferable experience managing small to medium projects with high levels of autonomy
- Preferable proficiency in GIS tools such as ArcGIS
- Preferable skills in foreign languages besides English
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.