Local recruitment: Environmental Specialist
We are on a mission to change the world; do you want to join us where it matters the most? Invest in your personal and professional development and acquire the skills that are vital for a global career in international development. A role in an FCS (Fragile and Conflict Affected Situations) location will be a truly impactful experience!
Fragility Conflict and Violence: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/fragilityconflictviolence
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice (ENB)
The ENB Global Practice has five key business lines consisting of Lending and non-lending services in (1) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes (‘Green Business line’); (2) Marine, Coastal, Aquatic Resources and Ocean Health (‘Blue Economy Business line’); (3) Pollution Management and Environmental Health (‘Pollution Management Business line’); (4) Environmental Economics, Policies and Institutions Business line, and (5) Safeguards/ Environmental Risk Management Business line: delivery of effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development. This includes provision of high-quality and timely safeguards services across the Bank, including current safeguards policies and the effective implementation of the new Environment and Social Framework (ESF) that was rolled out on October 1, 2018.
The ENB Global Practice in Sub Saharan Africa includes four units SAFE1, SAFE2, SAFE3 and SAFE4. The mission of the SAFE1 unit is to work with national and local governments and with communities to improve sustainable management of natural resources and improve preparedness to natural disasters in the following three Country Management Units: Cape Verde, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Senegal (AFCF1); Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone (AFCW1), and Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger (AFCW3).
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Environment Specialist will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and will be supporting a broad portfolio of lending, policy dialogue and safeguards activities primarily for AFCW3. The Selected candidate will work under supervision of the Practice Manager for SAFE1 based in the WB 's Washington Office and under the guidance of the Safeguard/ESF focal point for AFCW3. He/she will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
Safeguard/ Environment and Social Standards
• During project preparation: assess the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the Bank’s safeguards policies and/or Environment and Social Standard (ESS) will be triggered; guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality; contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation; and assist in the preparation of Environmental and Social Risk Classifications (ESRCs) and Environmental and Social Commitment Plans (ESCPs). This will also entail helping staff or client to assure the quality of project documentation before submission to the Regional Safeguards Adviser Secretariat for review and approval.
• During both preparation and implementation: go beyond narrow policy compliance to looking for opportunities to improve the environmental outcomes of the project. Work closely with the project task team and especially the Social Safeguards Specialist assigned to each operation and provide back up support as required. Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the WB’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines
• Provide support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies including labor influx, occupational health and safety and climate change mitigation and adaptation in Bank projects
• Participate as a team member in the preparation and/or supervision of environmental safeguards policy / standards requirements in different Bank funded operations, maintain regular dialogue with the client and enhance their capacity on environmental policies; and contribute to Aide Memoires.
• Contribute to and participate in quality reviews within the region and provide environmental input in project documents including Concept Review, Appraisal and Decision/Negotiations Packages
Operations and Policy Dialogue
• Contribute to inputs and support to Environment and Natural Resources sector dialogue in Ghana and in the AFCW1 CMU
• Contribute to the preparation and supervision of ENR projects in Ghana.
• Participate in policy dialog with the government and other stakeholder relevant to environment or natural resources in Ghana.
• Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Practice manager such as contribute to the organization of training or knowledge sharing events.
• Master’s degree in Environmental Engineering or Environmental/Natural Resources Science
• At least 5 years of experience in working on and managing environment projects
• Demonstrated knowledge of international standards and codes of practices in the environment sector including WBG Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs) and experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in French and English.