Advocacy Adviser (Water and Climate Campaign)
Want to use your skills in advocacy and your experience in climate change issues to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as Advocacy Adviser - Water and Climate Campaign to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you'll be joining a 2018 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
The WaterAid Campaigns and Advocacy Team plays a leadership role across the WaterAid Federation to drive the design and delivery of WaterAid's major advocacy and campaigns efforts to achieve SDG 6 - the global targets to secure clean water, decent sanitation and good hygiene (WASH) for all by 2030.
As our dynamic and strategic Advocacy Adviser you will play a major role in developing and delivering a new WaterAid campaign. You will operate at the global level, working with colleagues across WaterAid as well as campaign allies, to drive forward the advocacy agenda and to identify and maximise political opportunities to gain high-level support.
This is a permanent, full time role.
In this role, you will use your expert knowledge in climate change policy processes to develop the advocacy strategy for the Water and Climate Campaign, ensuring national change and high-level political influencing is prioritised.
* Work closely with the overall leadership of the Water and Climate Campaign to ensure strong alignment between the advocacy strategy and the overarching campaign strategy and direction.
* Work closely with policy colleagues as they develop policy and research for the campaign, to ensure strongly alignment to the advocacy agenda.
* Coordinate and lead on the delivery of advocacy to influence international targets and processes, and provide guidance to country teams to influence national targets.
* Maintain and strengthen partnerships with international civil society allies and networks working on water and climate change.
To be successful, you'll need:
- Extensive advocacy experience on climate change issues, demonstrated by examples of strategic impact on policy change and experience of using policy, research, lobbying, public campaigning, media and digital work to influence a political agenda.
- A keen political 'savviness' and an awareness of the potential for achieving political change, with proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision makers.
- A strategic, innovative and creative thinker with the ability to deliver tangible results.Fluent understanding and extensive experience of the techniques and skills required for effective project management.
- Understanding and experience of employing imaginative communication techniques and an appreciation of how those tools could work with policy, research and lobbying to influence a political agenda.
To see the full job pack, please click "Apply"
Starting salary: £41,200 - £43,400 dependent on experience, with excellent benefits
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in one document in either Word Document or PDF format. Please name the file with your full name.
Applications will close one minute before midnight on Monday 3 February 2020. Availability for interview is required in w/c 10 February.
WaterAid benefits include:
* 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
* Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
* We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%
* Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working up to 2 days a week
* Season Ticket Loan
* Free annual eye tests
* Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
* Enhanced Maternity and Adoption/Surrogacy pay, Shared Parental Leave and Paternity Leave.
* Volunteer Day
WaterAid is currently located at Durham Street, Vauxhall. However, we will be leaving our current location in the summer of 2020 (likely to be June/July 2020) and moving to 20 Canada Square, Canary Wharf. Therefore the London Office location and contract base, if you are successfully offered the role, will change. This will be discussed at the interview stage with you.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely serious. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at