Assistant Professor Position in Climate Change Adaptation and Sustainability Strategies in Africa
Job Title: Assistant Professor Position in Climate Change Adaptation and Sustainability Strategies in Africa
Area of specialization in IWRI Education and Research: Climate change adaptation technics and sustainability strategies in water resources sector in Africa
The International Water Research Institute (IWRI) at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University invites applications for faculty positions specialized in the area of adaptation technics and strategies in water resources with emphasize on sustainability science. The Job is dedicated to applied researches aiming at enhancing adaptation science in Africa through the development of methods and approaches in view of effective and inclusive climate change adaptation including appropriate implementation and metrics. The position will also address the issue of the required policy prescriptions and other Strategies that Might help Develop water-use sustainability in Africa. Due to the transversal character of the topic, the job will require multi-sectorial ability to work with wide range of stakeholders which require a need for comprehensive, multisectoral, and trans-regional policies to formulate water strategies for water sector in Africa. A good knowledge of integrated water resource management, current and potential future water challenges in Africa and modeling tools as well as detailed vulnerability assessment processes are required. A deep understanding of climate change challenges, concern about their negative impacts and curiosity regarding how to best adapt are essential.
Preference will be given to those with good research and teaching experience. Good communication skills, both verbal and writing are important. Fluency in French and English are preferred.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- Have the desire and ability to teach courses at the undergraduate level related to the candidate's areas of research interest.
- Perform multidisciplinary research and contribute to develop a funded research program.
- Publish the results of personal and sponsored research in international journals refereed by his/her peers.
- Pursue scholarly and professional activities that will keep him/her at the leading edge of his/her field
Criteria of the candidate:
- PhD in the subject discipline
- At least 2-5 years of experience in the subject discipline
- Relevant experience in the subject discipline as postdoctoral researcher.
- Demonstrated understanding of operational requirements for a successful research project and managing resources.
- Proven ability to identify and fulfill the academic writing requirements for target publications.
- Ability to generate new ideas, links, and to build upon existing ideas to generate good concepts and solutions.
- Demonstrated teaching skills.
- Expertise in climate models and the dynamics of extreme weather and climate events;
- Familiar with climate interactions and impacts on soils and ecosystems
- Good knowledge of hydrology models
- Very Good knowledge of methods required for impacts and vulnerability assessments
- Very good knowledge of methods required for adaptation options identification and evaluation
- Good knowledge of integrated water management methods
- Very good knowledge of technics allowing the enhancement of climate resilience in water sector
- Very good coding scales including Linux
- Good capabilities in creating new knowledge about the basic mechanisms that will enable a predictive understanding of climate change phenomena and their impacts on human and natural systems
- Proven experience in teaching students with different scientific background
- Ability in delivering courses to practitioners and decisions makers
Located at the heart of the future Green City of Benguerir, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P), a higher education institution with an international standard, is established to serve Morocco and the African continent. Its vision is honed around research and innovation at the service of education and development. This unique nascent university, with its state-of-the-art campus and infrastructure, has woven a sound academic and research network, and its recruitment process is seeking high quality academics and professionals in order to boost its quality-oriented research environment in the metropolitan area of Marrakech.
UM6P-IWRI International Water Research Institute is the newest institute located in Morocco, provisionally in Rabat but the main infrastructures are planned in Mazagan and Laâyoune. The institute is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research around water and climate.
The objectives are to conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues of water and climate, with a focus on:
- Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)
- Development of water related technologies (irrigation, water supply and sanitation, desalination, demineralisation, treatment and recycling for water reuse)
- Water-Energy-Food-Health-Education Nexus
- Water in and for Soil, Droughts and desertification
- Water Related Hazards
- Floods (“Hydrometeorological” hazard)
- Ground Instability
- Water Pollution
- Air-Water-Ocean interactions
- Climate change
- Climate Change and Adaptation Strategies
- Integrated coastal zone management (ICZM)
- Water information, knowledge and decision systems
- Forecasting and Warning Systems
- Environmental Considerations and Sustainable development