Graduate Hydraulic Modeller (Water Catchment Management)
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Within the UK Water Catchment Management Team in Scotland we are looking for a graduate hydraulic modeller to work on projects involving river, coastal and surface water modelling for flood mapping studies, surface water management plans, flood strategies and other flood management projects.
Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do – the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology – we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
About this opportunity
You will be working on projects for Transport Scotland, Local Authorities, the Environment Agency and some private sector clients. Responsibilities include:
- Aiding Technical Lead on projects involving modelling including flood mapping studies, surface water management plans, flood strategies and other flood management projects.
- Actively participate in the development of hydraulic models under the supervision of a senior modeller using modelling software
- Process and analyse modelling outputs using GIS software (QGIS, MapInfo and/or ArcGIS)
- Writing technical reports
- Minimum 2:1 degree in Civil Engineering, Water Resources or other relevant degree
- Good academic knowledge in hydraulics, hydrology and/or Water Resources
- Strong analytical skills
- First-hand experience in using GIS software such as Mapinfo/ArcGIS/QGIS
- Good report writing and presentation skills
- First experience in implementing 1D and 2D modelling techniques for river, urban and coastal flooding applications.
- First experience in using modelling software: Flood Modeller, TUFLOW and Infoworks ICM
Closing date: 31st January / Expected start date: September 2020
If interested, please submit your CV and Cover Letter when applying. Applicant’s require the right to live and work in the UK without visa and sponsorship requirements. This position does not cover relocation allowance.
Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP) is recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice and is designed to fulfil the needs of all graduates, in addition to technical development needs specific to their particular discipline.
Graduates complete a series of competencies based upon business requirements, comprising the optimum mix of blended learning which complements chartership progression and provides them with the technical and business acumen required to advance their career. Additional benefits include:
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme.
Join Jacobs. We want you to grow… JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our diverse perspectives and unique backgrounds power our collective strength. By supporting one another and through our culture of caring, we all succeed. The biggest questions spark our curious minds. We clear the way for inventive thinking and exploration, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. We redefine what’s possible. There’s something that drives everyone – and we want you to keep evolving your career, discover unexpected opportunities and ensure you can deliver on tomorrow.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website: www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.