Senior Environmental and Social Development Specialist
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
MIGA was established in 1988 to enhance the flow of capital and knowledge to developing countries and executes its mandate by providing political risk insurance guarantees and credit enhancement products against non-commercial risks for cross-border equity investors and lenders in its 181 member countries. In addition to traditional political risk insurance, MIGA offers credit enhancement products that protect lenders against losses from the failure of a sovereign, sub-sovereign or State-Owned Enterprise to make a payment when due under an unconditional financial payment obligation or guarantee related to an eligible investment. For the fiscal year 2019, ended on June 30, MIGA issued $5.5 billion in guarantees, had a gross outstanding portfolio of $23.3 billion and approximately slightly over 130 staff.
MIGA is headed by the Executive Vice President who oversees two Vice Presidential Units(VPUs): the Vice President and Chief Operations Officer who oversees the Operations Group (MIGOP), and the Vice President and Chief Risk, Legal and Administrative Officer who oversees the Economics and Sustainability Group (MIGES), the Finance and Risk Management Group (MIGFR) and the Legal Affairs and Claims Group (MIGLC). All departments in MIGA work together to extend insurance and credit risk enhancements to support developmentally sound cross-border investments in member countries. MIGES consists of four areas of responsibility: Economics (MIGEC); Sustainability (Environment, Social) and Climate (MIGSC); Integrity and Evaluations.
Sustainability is a strategic priority for MIGA. It underpins the WBG's efforts to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity in a sustainable manner. MIGA, through the work of the Environment, Social and Climate (MIGSC) unit, focuses on working with our clients and businesses to address environmental and social risks and impacts, climate change, and reputational risk management and foster sustainable practices in all sectors including, agribusiness, manufacturing, services, infrastructure, natural resources and financial markets. Core functions of the unit include the assessment of the environmental and social sustainability and climate vulnerability risk of projects where MIGA support is being considered, as well as the monitoring of compliance of projects with MIGA’s environmental and social policies. MIGSC collaborates with the other units in MIGA to ensure the implementation of the Agency’s policies and procedures.
MIGSC is seeking to recruit a Senior Environmental and Social Development Specialist with expertise in environmental and/or social assessment and risk management of Financial Intermediaries (FIs). The primary responsibilities for the tasks are listed below. The position will be based at MIGA’s headquarters in Washington, DC
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Senior Environmental and Social Development Specialist primary role will be supporting Financial Intermediaries (FI) projects in MIGA and will be required to undertake the following tasks:
• In accordance with MIGA policies and procedures, assess the potential environmental and social (E&S) risks and/or impacts and undertake contextual risk screening of assigned projects, where MIGA guarantee support is being considered, against the requirements of MIGA Sustainability Policy and Performance Standards (PSs) on Environmental and Social Sustainability. Prepare E&S input to the underwriting documents for FI investment projects as per MIGA Environmental and Social Review Procedure (ESRP).
• Develop recommendations for MIGA clients and define steps required to ensure compliance with the requirements of the PSs and the applicable WBG Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines.
• Work with MIGA lawyers to advise on appropriate language/E&S conditions to be included in MIGA’s contracts reflecting these commitments to ensure compliance with MIGA policies.
• Articulate (verbally and in writing) key E&S risks and impacts to MIGA’s Management Team (MMT).
• Actively support MIGA’s E&S specialists with their FI projects: review and comment upon all appraisal assessments and disclosure documents to ensure quality control and consistency.
• Support business development in collaboration with MIGA Operations department, by providing advice, particularly when pre-appraisal site visits are necessary.
• For assigned existing projects being supported by MIGA guarantees, monitor compliance with MIGA’s PSs, the WBG EHS guidelines, and contract specific conditions. Anticipate potential issues in complex situations and formulate corrective action plans. When there are compliance issues, work with the investors and the project to implement remedial measures or undertake other actions to coordinate a satisfactory resolution.
• Manage development and delivery of the annual monitoring plan for FI portfolio, in liaison with MIGSC monitoring coordinator.
• Maintain and report on high risk list FI projects and portfolio E&S performance.
• Actively support the MIGSC Sector Manager in communication and engagement with MIGA Operations/Finance and Capital Markets (FINCAP) unit and MMT, as needed.
• Similarly, undertake E&S risk management for real sector projects, as assigned.
• Provide training on E&S issues with a focus on FIs to MIGA clients, internal staff and other Specialists.
• Contribute to corporate knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific MIGA projects and lead on developing tools relating to E&S due diligence and monitoring to improve efficiencies and enable improved client management of E&S issues. Contribute to the delivery of E&S training in relation to FIs both to MIGA staff and clients.
• Work together with the rest of MIGA’s E&S team and coordinate closely with MIGA’s Departments on assigned projects and corporate tasks.
• Represent MIGA at technical meetings, industry events and environmental and/or social fora.
• Lead or contribute to the review and development of E&S policies, procedures, and framework; proposes innovations and draws on lessons learned.
• Mentor junior staff and supervise consultants, as requested.
• Collaborate with World Bank and IFC colleagues on joint projects and evolving practices for FIs as well as other colleagues from multilateral development institutions.
• Advanced degree (Masters required) in a relevant discipline including Environment, Social Science, Engineering, economics, finance or other relevant discipline.
• Minimum of 10 years of directly relevant work experience in environment and/or social risk management and assessment.
• Track record in working with FIs (universal banks, investment banks, private equity funds, venture capital funds, microfinance institutions among others) to identify environmental and/or social risks and issues associated with the portfolio of the FI and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
• Experience with IFC/MIGA Sustainability Policy, PSs, IFC Guidance Note(s) for FIs, and application of these standards in FIs.
• Demonstrated technical knowledge of best available practices related to E&S risk management and assessment as well as the business case for integrating these into FIs
• Must understand the concept of management systems in general, and environmental and social management systems (ESMSs), in particular.
• Experience in developing, implementing and/or evaluating ESMSs in FIs a must.
• Self-starter with enthusiasm for complex project challenges with a focus on the FI sector, integrated business solutions and MIGA’s sustainability objectives.
• International experience required; experience in developing countries and/or fragile and conflict states is preferred. Ability to travel frequently to developing countries, often on short notice.
• Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected peoples, government officials, international organizations, development agencies, scientific and technical bodies, NGO’s / civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse environmentally-related data and information.
• Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential and French language is highly desirable. Knowledge of other languages will be advantageous.
• Excellent team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
• Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses client’s stated and unstated needs.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly received diverse perspectives.
• Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
• Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
MIGSC Competencies for Senior Environmental and Social Development Specialist (GG LEVEL)
Effectively communicate on institutional matters and topics relevant to MIGA’s business and is a strong communicator in business settings. Able to synthesize (both verbally and in writing) complex issues and clearly summarize key points and questions. Understands the need to tailor communication to the audience and can prepare effective supporting documents to facilitate his/her oral presentation on straightforward subject matter.
Mentoring and Developing People
Builds informal mentoring network within own immediate work unit, and proactively provides mentoring and coaching to others within team or in other departments. Delivers honest, constructive feedback to colleagues in an effective way. Seeks out opportunities to recognize others’ contributions.
Demonstrates in-depth understanding of MIGA’s Sustainability Framework and applies the Framework to identify and address environmental and social issues and risks. Works independently to undertake environmental and social due diligence and provide input to the project team on environmental and social issues/risks. Proactively determines and tailors risk mitigation measures to address identified risks.
Proactively monitors the environmental and social performance of multiple complex projects and / or projects that require significant support. Anticipates potential issues and formulates corrective plans. Engages effectively with clients to achieve compliance, and leads and/or contributes to discussions on environmental and social matters.
Policy, Procedures and Knowledge Management Tools
Demonstrates extensive knowledge of industry products, tools, and methodologies and contributes to the review and development of the FI E&S framework, procedures, strategies and tools. Able to effectively represent MIGA at internal and external policy related events.