Senior Environment Specialist
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 member countries.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (EAER) in the East Asia Regional Department (EARD). EAER provides lending and non-lending assistance in agricultural and rural development, and environmental protection and natural resources management. Under agricultural and rural development, EAER specifically operates in (i) sustainable agricultural production and market development; (ii) rural renewable energy development; and (iii) agricultural infrastructure (e.g., irrigation, drainage, and access roads) development and management. Under environmental protection and natural resources management, EAER operates in (i) policy, institutional, and technology development of environmental management (e.g., waste and wastewater management, soil contamination control, emission trading, and payment for environmental services); (ii) natural resources management (e.g., forestry development, integrated water resource management, wetland and/or lakes conservation, and biodiversity and ecosystem management); and (iii) natural disaster risk management. EAER also assists in developing projects for climate change adaptation and mitigation; and incorporating feasible adaptation and mitigation measures (e.g., greenhouse gas reduction, carbon sequestration, and land degradation improvement) in its operation. EAER also provides policy support and assistance in knowledge development and sharing using its vast knowledge accumulated through its operation.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Environment Specialist will lead the design, prepare and implement lending and technical assistance operations in environment and natural resources. Provide analytical and technical input and facilitating policy dialogue with the Developing Member Countries (DMCs) governments, development partners, and other stakeholders on environment and natural resources management policies, strategies and programs focusing on inclusive and environmentally sustainable growth. Work within a framework of broad policies, principles and goals, applying a high degree of autonomy in selection of work methods. The incumbent will report to the Director, EAER and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Integrate environmental and natural resource issues into country operations by providing inputs to country strategy and sector work and ensuring that environmental and natural resource dimensions are adequately reflected in country strategies, sector work and projects.
- Guide and advice developing member countries (DMCs) on environmental issues and in building and strengthening their capacity for environmental planning and management.
- Prepare country environmental assessments and briefs.
- Develop environment and natural resource management strategies and initiatives in coordination and cooperation with DMCs, development partners and other stakeholders.
- Lead or contribute to addressing environment and natural resource management related climate change risks and vulnerabilities and protecting and maintaining natural capital and associated ecosystem services.
- Help identify and develop investment opportunities in agriculture, environment and natural resource sectors for sustainable economic growth to support poverty reduction and regional cooperation.
- Facilitate effective liaison with resident missions (RMs) for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices and integration of environment policy commitments to the management of projects.
- Guide and support the identification, preparation, appraisal, and supervision of loans, grants, and technical assistance (TA) projects related to agriculture and rural development, urban development, and environmental management.
- Liaise and coordinate with development agencies on program loans and investment projects.
- Facilitate coordination with environment and/or natural resources country and regional/cross-departmental thematic and technical working groups
- Support the identification, processing and supervision of grant and TA projects with significant environmental dimensions, including supervising consultants and ensuring the high technical quality of outputs.
- Develop and maintain a suitable network of the latest institutional developments in international and national environment and natural resource management of relevance to the division.
- Conduct knowledge dissemination and sharing with governments, multilateral and bilateral organizations, civil society and NGOs on environmental issues and programs.
- Supervise and contribute to sector and thematic studies, relevant to the division operations, and prepare knowledge products related to environmental issues.
- Substantially contribute knowledge, inputs and insights to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building on environment issues.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in Environment or Natural Resource Management. University degree in Environment or Natural Resource Management, or related biological sciences, combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in environmental and natural resource management, policy formation, implementation and coordination at senior levels.
- Experience with a multilateral institution's policies and procedures.
- Experience working in several developing countries.
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Credible expert in field of expertise with recognized ability to lead projects and to share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community, in a way which may further enhance ADB's ability to:
- Recommend effective solutions to address DMCs' specific economic, sector or thematic needs, based on wide range of experience and proven best practices
- Successfully structure and implement loan and technical assistance projects in a more cost-effective manner
- Manage risks more effectively by understanding DMCs, their environment (including the political, social and technical aspects), development priorities and economic / sector / thematic issues
- Able to perform effectively as a mission leader or team member in multi-disciplinary teams
- Able to mentor and coach team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters to develop their capabilities/potential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.