Trase Product Manager
SEI HQ is looking for an enthusiastic person with strong teamwork and project coordination skills to work within a dynamic team of researchers, helping to manage an exciting new development in global supply chain sustainability – the Transparency for Sustainable Economies (Trase) platform (www.trase.earth). Trase is a flagship initiative at SEI and a pioneering sustainability platform that enables governments, companies, investors and others to better understand and address the environmental and social impacts linked to their supply chains. Its approach draws on vast sets of production, trade and customs data, for the first time laying bare the flows of globally-traded commodities – such as palm oil, soya, beef and timber – at scale. Trase is a direct response to the ambitious commitments made by leaders across sectors to achieve deforestation-free supply chains – and the urgent need this creates for a breakthrough in assessing and monitoring sustainability performance. Trase is widely recognized by industry, government and civil society leaders as a game-changing innovation in supply chain transparency.
The SEI HQ is a dynamic, expanding workplace that employs around 90 people from around 25 different nationalities in an activity-based office in central Stockholm (Garnisonen).
The primary responsibility for this position is to lead development and maintenance of the Trase platform (www.trase.earth). This includes leading the front-end workstream within the wider Trase team, planning the roadmap for platform development, and managing the inputs and outputs to the platform, including but not limited to the process of uploading, testing and releasing new data (supply chain data for new commodities, sustainability indicators and spatial data) and features (software upgrades, performance improvements, data analysis tools, data visualizations, insights, news), as well as quality control and documentation of these processes, and collection and processing on feedback from platform users, internally and externally. It will also involve product development oversight of new data technology developments inspired by trase.earth, including to map flows of finance into commodity traders, to embed Trase technologies into third party systems in companies and governments, and to link Trase to third-party technologies such as Life Cycle Accounting (LCA) systems.
The Trase Product Manager role will work closely with the Trase Program Manager and other members of the Trase front-end development team and other workstream leads, distributed across multiple organizations, including Trase lead partner Global Canopy in the UK. This work will include coordinating the data upload for releases of supply chain data and sustainability indicators on new commodities, setting up and testing of new data using the trase.earth content management system in close partnership with the data science team, and helping to ensure that internal processes are adequately documented. The role will operate as the primary liaison in these areas with the external companies involved in developing the Trase front-end. In addition, this role will coordinate and support regular testing workshops, both internal and external, as well as engagement with project partners, stakeholders and users to gather feedback on performance and usability for integration into future platform improvements.
This position is key to improving the long-term strategic impact of Trase as well as the day to day operation and impact of the Trase platform. This position will have responsibility for monitoring and maintaining the site both from a content and feature perspective, including regular testing and coordinating the implementation of bug fixes, and will also lead internal and external feedback and training workshops on platform functionality and usability.
Who you are
You should have a strong interest in developing interactive data tools to help understand some of the major environmental and sustainability challenges the world is facing in the 21st Century. The candidate is expected to be capable of working both independently and as part of a team in a highly flexible and exciting research environment, whilst also being comfortable investing time as needed in basic maintenance, monitoring and processing tasks. As we work with a wide array of different stakeholders, you need strong interpersonal and communication skills, and to enjoy interacting and networking with actors in multi-cultural settings and from very different disciplines (data and sustainability scientists, communications specialists, development, policy and campaigning organizations, public and private sector stakeholders).
- At least two years’ experience in product managing the development of digital products for sustainability, including information and data-driven platforms, applications, multimedia work or similar, including experience in using Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Masters level qualification or equivalent work experience in a field relevant to sustainable development and/or digital platform development
- Excellent management skills and proven ability to take a structured approach to planning tasks across teams and managing workloads including through monitoring, assessment and learning around product delivery
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to build good working relationships with colleagues and partners and the ability to communicate complex ideas to wide audiences
- A natural team player with patience and calm in situations with tight deadlines
- Good writing and editing skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams working on sustainability in agricultural, land-use or forestry sectors and familiarity with both technical and non-technical areas of work
- Experience working with online software developers, as well as with agile development methodologies and performance assessment
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian or Mandarin
How to apply
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and will close when we have found a suitable candidate so please submit your application soon. Please note that we only accept applications submitted online. No applications sent by email will be accepted.
In your application, please include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience and why you are motivated by this position
- Curriculum vitae
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Toby Gardner, the Trase Director at . Inquiries concerning the recruitment process can be directed at My Persson, Recruitment and Competence Specialist, .
Following a preselection of applications, candidates will be asked to complete a short practical test, sent by email, to demonstrate their suitability for the position.