Water+ Systems Advisor
The Water Team at CARE USA sits within the broader Food and Water Systems Unit and is responsible for a wide range of functions in the areas of water, sanitation, hygiene (WASH), water resources management, and water for productive uses; referred to collectively as Water+. Water Team responsibilities include: providing technical facilitation and policy and advocacy support to specific country offices (COs) and regional programs; strategic guidance to CARE's larger water+ portfolio; global impact measurement; contributing to sector discussions regarding best practices and sustainable outcomes; communicating with impact across CARE and within the global water sector; advocating domestically for effective US government engagement in the WASH sector; and engaging donors and the public in CARE’s water+ work. Moving beyond service delivery, CARE’s water+ programs emphasize collaboration with partners and governments that strengthen water governance and systems that ensure sustainable water and sanitation service provision, and sustained hygiene behavior change in the countries and communities in which CARE works. CARE's water+ programs recognize and address gender and social inequities, and seek change that sustainably improves the lives of women and girls.
The Water+ Systems Advisor will provide technical facilitation and learning support to CARE’s Water+ programs with a particular focus on water+ programs in East Africa, including large programs now in close-out stage, where consolidating and disseminating learning is a key priority. This will include: supporting learning, documentation and exchange to and from water+ programs and the global water sector; helping to position key program learning to influence WASH policy and practice at district and national levels; and providing technical facilitation in water and sanitation systems strengthening, sanitation and hygiene behavior change, and water resources management for multiple and productive uses. The Water+ Systems Advisor will work closely with country offices and other members of the Water Team, as well as members of CARE’s broader Food and Water Systems Unit to provide technical facilitation and assistance, learning and policy support to multi-sector programs, and with CARE’s fundraising and Competitive Bids Unit, to develop water+ programs and initiatives, including those funded by the US government.
The Water+ Systems Advisor must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Technical facilitation and assistance
- Learning, influencing, and advocating
- Cross-sector coordination and engagement across CARE program areas
- Support fundrasing and resource mobilization
- This will include support for grants and finance management, but could also include broader, strategic support to CARE teams, managing interns, collaborating with academic partners on research studies, administrative support and other duties
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field
- At least 4 years working in international development, with experience living or working across multiple country contexts
- Fluent English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in learning, research, communications, policy analysis and advocacy, and/or proposal development