Map Specialist I
WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
You will help support the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) under FEMA’s Risk Mapping, Assessment and Planning (MAP) Customer and Data Services (CDS) contract. As a member of FEMA’s Mapping and Insurance eXchange contact center, the candidate will assist Agency stakeholders by answering questions received by telephone, email, and chat about a wide variety of topics under the National Flood Insurance Program, including its regulations, flood hazard mapping program, financial and physical mitigation opportunities. This position supports the Agency with its mission to reduce future losses from floods and other natural disasters by providing professional services to the public, FEMA and its partners.
Aligned with the Agency our staff represents, we foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
- The position is responsible for disseminating information on Federal regulatory requirements and guidance, NFIP flood insurance risk rating and applicable rules/documentation.
- The individual will be responsible for entering data accurately, while in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geology, Environmental Science or other earth science-related degree or have prior FEMA insurance or mapping experience.
- Have 1-3 years of professional experience. Experience combined with education and trainings relative to the position will be considered.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to speak clearly on the telephone.
- Strong sense of customer service.
- Must be a US Citizen and be able to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- Experience with the NFIP program and regulations is preferred, however, a suitable candidate exhibiting skills to understand, retain, and communicate the regulations and insurance-related products would be considered.
- Associate in National Flood Insurance (ANFI) certifications.
- The preferred candidate also must demonstrate the ability to read, use, and interpret Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and is familiar with GIS mapping software and terminology.
- Certified in Floodplain Management (CFM)
- Spanish-language proficiency