Water and Tailings Modelling Specialist (Bolt-On)
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Accountabilities and Challenges
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Panama.
- Maintain HSE standards and ensure strict compliance within the TMF Operations department.
- Work closely with the Water Resources and Tailings Deposition team to keep the integrity of the information required to the different tasks involved in the conceptual and numerical modelling of water and tailings management.
- Produce various iterations and scenarios of the tailings deposition model, water balance, and water quality model.
- Process data to characterize inputs and key parameters based on information obtained from the field or technical literature, such as LIDAR and drone survey data, meteorological stations, hydrogeological drillings campaigns, tailings and water laboratory testing, monitoring program, studies, reports, scientific papers, among others.
- Conduct hydrological and hydraulic analysis associated with a high precipitation climate region.
- Apply computer models to simulate dynamic operations and evaluation scenarios guiding the water and tailings depositions management plans.
- Participate and take ownership of projects requiring water or tailings management inputs.
- Conduct field investigation and improvements of the monitoring plan to increase the level of understanding of water and tailings management within the facility.
- Post-process and analyze the results obtained from different models to add value in terms of risk management, resource optimization, projects evaluation, operational rules determination, long-term planning, among other technical outputs that can be achieved from the models.
- Implement FQM Way culture in the Water and Tailings team - "Bolder, Smarter, Driven, Together."
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Area Leader.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Degree in Engineering with Professional background in Geology, Geography, Hydrology or related discipline
- Knowledge of different modelling software such as GoldSim, Muk3D, AutoCAD, Modflow, Hec-Ras HMS, ArcGis, QGis, Phreeqc, Feflow, Seep/W, Slope &W, Hydrus, others.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to work in a "team" environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in the mining industry and preferably tailings management facilities operations and water balance
- 5 + years of related work experience linked to consulting or operations within the mining industry
Fluency in Spanish is required and proficiency in English highly regarded. A willingness to undertake language training desirable.