Nature Based Solutions Adviser (Geomatics)
If you’re a talented Geomatics specialist who’s gained some valuable experience in remote sensing of land use and forestry, this role will support global climate change mitigation efforts through nature-based solutions and drive innovation in remote sensing technologies. This will give you the chance to make the future, and rediscover yourself everyday with endless personal development, challenging projects and continuous learning opportunities.
Where you fit in
We work as one team and are committed to excellence and accountable for coaching, mentoring and knowledge sharing. We are passionate about encouraging you to give back to the community through various activities.
Help us achieve highest standards of environmental integrity on the supply side of the NBS value chain.
What’s the role?
We’ll entrust you with helping identify, appraise, secure and develop high-integrity investments in carbon sinks (including, but not limited to, forest conservation, forest management, afforestation, wetland protection/restoration, blue carbon and certain agriculture related projects). You’ll be expected to:
- Provide front-line remote sensing and geospatial advisory, technical expertise and project delivery for Shell’s Nature Based Solutions business.
- Contribute to NBS opportunity assessment and screening through the acquisition, collation and analysis of spatial data sets, assessed against carbon accounting and verification standards such as the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS).
- Undertake detailed spatial analyses of NBS project opportunities through, e.g., the analysis of historical land use change trends (e.g. historical land use changes, fire maps, and canal maps in the case of peatlands) following internationally recognized carbon accounting methods and standards (e.g. IPCC, VCS, etc.), create stratified sampling maps and design drone surveys, including through the use of cloud-based remote sensing analysis tools and platforms.
- Support the necessary analysis, data compilation and narrative drafting for NBS monitoring reports under various standards, e.g. VCS.
- Develop workflows and processes for integrating remote sensing data with other Geo-spatial data in support of NBS projects.
- Carry out highly specialist remote sensing projects using internal tools, or via external or Group experts.
- Advocate and promote remote sensing as a business-enabling technology.
- Identify, understand and consult on a wide variety of business challenges and implement appropriate remote sensing technologies.
- Process Synthetic Aperture Radar and Multispectral Imagery, and know when these different technologies should be used, and how to access the data.
- Work with the NBS R&D team to identify and pilot new remote sensing technology and make recommendations at Group level. Develop and apply new novel techniques to maximize the business value from remote sensing assets.
- Ensure successful techniques (from pilot projects) are publicized and replicated to other projects in the company to ensure replication of best practices to derive maximum competitive advantage and value.
- Act as contract representative with key international data vendors and service providers, managing outsourced projects and assuring the quality of deliverables.
What we need from you:
- Masters’ degree (MSc) or Doctorate (PhD) in a directly-related remote sensing or related geoscience technical discipline from a recognized University.
- Proven years of experience with demonstrable remote sensing project delivery.
- Strong technical background covering remote sensing analysis using (and combining) multispectral, radar and lidar data, as well as cloud-based remote sensing platforms.
- Ability to teach and train colleagues in basic remote sensing workflows, communicate concepts and principles and provide technical leadership.
- Ability to think laterally and work on a varying range of challenges, simultaneous supporting proximate and non-proximate activities, working as part of a distributed virtual team.
- Experience with management and integration of drone data an advantage.
- Experience with process automation and scripting (FME and Python) is a plus.
- Ability to collaborate with multinational teams to bring complex projects or problems to timely resolution.