Sustainability Planner (Climate mitigation and adaptation)
The selected candidate will join the Sustainable Development Group, part of AECOM’s global Planning + Economics Practice Line. The primary emphasis of the group is to promote resilience, socioeconomic and environmental sustainability in urban design, city planning, and policy projects. This is accomplished through employing climate assessment, rigorous economic and strategic planning techniques and developing innovative analytical approaches to providing solutions for delivering sustainability in varied domestic and international contexts.
This position will focus on greenhouse gas mitigation projects, green building and sustainable infrastructure certification schemes, potentially with some resilience planning work, primarily for local government and other public agencies, although could also include work for the private sector.
Qualified candidates will have excellent analytical and writing skills with education and/or professional background in climate action planning and green building, and/or climate adaptation. Urban planning, or policy modeling/design also useful. The candidate must have a demonstrated expertise in sustainability, with a particular emphasis on climate change.
Example Project Types:
- Climate Action Plans for cities of a range of sizes
- GHG inventories and forecasting
- Energy efficiency / green building policy modeling
- Sustainable building and infrastructure certification schemes
- Cost-benefit analysis for climate adaptation and mitigation plans
- Development projections and carbon emissions modeling
- Climate adaptation strategies for municipalities, transportation agencies, utilities
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., City and Regional Planning, Environmental Policy) from an accredited university. Demonstrated knowledge of local government climate change/sustainability policy and program development is essential.
- 2+ years of experience at a planning consulting firm, or equivalent. Demonstrated experience working on relevant projects, conducting analysis
- Experience on climate action planning and green building certification schemes essential, particularly policy and program design
- Understanding of greenhouse gas inventory and forecast methodologies
- Excellent quantitative skills; communication and writing skills
- Detail-oriented: Strong sense of commitment, a willingness to learn more and a desire to work in a dynamic, deadline driven team environment.
- Master's degree in a relevant field (e.g., City and Regional Planning, Environmental Policy) from an accredited university. Demonstrated knowledge of local government climate change/sustainability policy and program development is essential.
- 4+ years of experience at a planning consulting firm, or equivalent. Demonstrated experience working on relevant projects, conducting analysis
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Planning
Business Line Buildings & Places
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United States of America
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 232234BR
Additional Locations US - Sacramento, CA - 2020 L St
Clearance Required No
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.