Earthwatch is seeking an organized and adaptable individual, who has an appreciation of science and experience in coordinating environmental, educational, or grant funded programs. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for supporting Program Managers in the creation and delivery of citizen science programs. In particular, they will be responsible for all aspects of preparing participants who are joining public and grant funded programs, coordinating logistics for programs and stewarding scientists and partners. This position primarily works on Ignite LA – a grant funded program that places Los Angeles high school students on Earthwatch expeditions. The successful candidate must possess exemplary customer service skills. The role requires creativity and flexibility in an often fast paced environment. They will work closely with a team of Program Managers, Coordinators, and international staff and programmatic partners to deliver on the Earthwatch mission.
Note: Specific tasks, projects and programs are distributed across Program Coordinators as needed for organizational effectiveness.
Preparing participants for field expeditions
- Deliver prompt, friendly and consistent high-quality customer service and participant stewardship
- Field incoming phone calls from general inquiries, potential and current participants
- Collect materials and answer questions via email and phone communication
- Collect, log, and screen participant forms
- Conduct outreach, coordinate the application process, and review fellowship applications for grant-funded programs
- Coordinate events, conference calls, and/or webinars for participants
- Work across departments to resolve participant requests, questions, and overcome programmatic challenges
- Transmit participant information to scientists
- Respond to participant feedback and compile reports for programs
Program & Project Support
- Assist Program Managers with stewardship of scientists, funders, and partner organizations
- Organize program logistics such as food, venue and transport arrangements
- Coordinate materials to and from scientists and programmatic partners
- Support the creation and dissemination of key program materials (project briefing, flyers, emails, website, quarterly newsletters, social media and blog posts, etc.)
- Develop, organize, request, and track documents with research partners, including annual contracts and risk management documents
- Collect and share evaluation data for program reporting
- Maintain program and participant data in the CRM database to a high standard
- Embrace other program delivery and performance roles, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience; 1 – 3 years of experience in the non-profit sector, environment, education, sustainability, field research, or other related field.
- Commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service abilities
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team
- Experience managing multiple priorities, and ability to work independently to complete tasks within assigned time frames
- Demonstrate initiative to improve programs and the organization as a whole
- Flexibility in responding to the needs of the programs
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and experience with relational databases
- Understanding of the varying relationships youth may have with science and outdoor programming, based on class, race, and gender.
- Experience or interest in facilitating and developing curriculum for experiential learning, citizen science, or volunteer programs preferred
- Experience or interest in working with and engaging youth who are underrepresented in science and outdoor education fields
- Experience with or interest in coordinating programs for high school students
- Spanish language skills preferred
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter, including any professional and personal experience that is relevant to this position, via the form on this page.
Timeline: We will read applications on a rolling basis until February 8th. Role is expected to start in mid March to early April.
Earthwatch is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to create a diverse and inclusive organization that is reflective of the global communities with whom we work. We actively seek individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, sexes, religions, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
No phone calls please.
Due to limited resources, we are only able to accept applicants who are already eligible to work in the United States.