Local recruitment: Extended Term Temporary (Sustainable environment and natural resources management (ENRM))
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
Sustainable environment and natural resources management (ENRM) is at the heart of the WBG poverty agenda. Biodiversity and natural resources constitute the social safety net of the poor, representing a food bank and often their only source of livelihood. Sustainable ENRM promotes a green clean, and resilient world where natural resources—from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems—are handled to support livelihoods and strong economies. Sustainable ENRM builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity, weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change. This work is carried out by the Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice (ENB GP).
We cover the following business lines:
• Green: Forests, Watersheds & Sustainable Landscapes - managing renewable natural capital across landscapes;
• Blue: Marine, Coastal & Aquatic Resources - unlocking the wealth of marine, coastal and fresh water economies;
• Brown: Pollution Management & Environmental Health - reducing pollution to improve environmental conditions;
• Clean and Resilient Growth: Fostering economics and institutions for sustainable and sustained growth; and
• Environmental Risk Management and Sustainability: Handling risks and creating opportunity to advise sustainable development in accordance with the Bank’s Operational Policies and, since October 1, 2018, the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF).
The ENB GP has close to 300 operations, representing $7 billion, and a growing pipeline of investments and ASAs under development. It is seeking to add to its administrative support team.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Your responsibilities will include the following:
• You will independently undertake diverse and complex work assignments, to make a significant contribution to the overall achievement of the work program.
• Provide primary support in specific areas (e.g., database management, knowledge management, information technology, editorial assistance, procurement, task management, major event/course planning, etc.).
• You will work with other World Bank Group Units frequently and liaise with team members, regardless of location, and external counterparts.
• Identify and resolve diverse issues/problems as they arise, which often requires interpretation of existing procedures and processes and independently determining the appropriate application.
• Suggest ways to develop work organization and effectiveness.
• Exercise quality improvement function for project and other documents by ensuring adherence to departmental, VPU and institutional guidelines.
• Participate in developing project/product timelines, using appropriate software.
• Provide high quality administrative and operational assistance to Task Team Leaders (TTLs) in all phases of the project cycle.
• Attend meetings, draft minutes and ensure timely clearance and distribution.
• Serve as an information resource on status of project/products (e.g. procurement, disbursement, audit, trust fund/co-financing, and legal issues) and draft a variety of standard project-related correspondence.
• Undertake ad-hoc inquiries in standard and non-standard databases, retrieves, manipulates and presents data.
• Participate in mission field work as required.
• Assist with preparation and logistical planning of operational missions, conferences/seminars, workshops, study tours, training sessions, unit staff meetings, including taking minutes, meetings with government delegation, and other team events.
• High school diploma with 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential. Spanish and French language skills are preferable for select regional units. Translation and interpretation skills would be a definite asset.
• Preference would be given to applicants with demonstrated experience as program assistants with a minimum of 2 years.
• Strong computer skills; proven ability to use standard and customized technology packages, e.g. Internet, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
• Knowledge and understanding of information management, procedures and standard methodologies, including the relevant technology and system knowledge.
• Strong organizational, research/analytical and presentation skills.
• Teamwork/Collaboration skills and recognized ability to work effectively in a reciprocal environment.
• Outstanding verbal communication and social skills to interact effectively with a range of contacts internally and externally using maturity, good judgment, tact and subtlety.
• Demonstrated skills in organizing, prioritizing, scheduling, planning and coordinating work and other activities internally and externally.
• Ability to take personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.