Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Work Base: MENTOR South Sudan
Responsible to: Country Director, South Sudan
The MENTOR Initiative is the world’s leading non-profit organisation dedicated to the control of malaria and other vector borne diseases in emergency settings, operating across countries in west, central, and eastern Africa and the Middle East. The organisation directly delivers large scale disease control interventions to the most vulnerable communities caught up in emergencies, and in parallel, also works to build the technical and operational capacity of local and international partners on the ground, to incorporate medium and long term disease control systems into their operations and country strategy. For more information, please visit: www.thementorinitiative.org.
Context: Conflict and economic decline have been identified as the main drivers in the deterioration of WASH services available in South Sudan, resulting in some of the worst WASH indicators in the world. The impact of deficits in WASH provision are widely publicised and can be characterised as being both disease related, a source of internal conflict amongst communities and shrouded in protection issues for women.
The WASH needs within Northern Bahr el Ghazal mimic those for much of the rest of the country:
· access to a safe water supply
· maintenance of water points
· household and community sanitation
· hygiene practices
MENTOR is well versed in the delivery of WASH IEC/Hygiene Promotion tools/materials. In order to address the hazards of WASH related diseases, and the current hygiene needs of targeted communities, concerted efforts are required at both individual and community levels. This will be a comprehensive hygiene promotion programme, targeting the communities within Aweil East.
Overall Job Purpose: The WASH Coordinator is responsible for:
· Improving access to hygiene promotion activities amongst the targeted audiences at both the individual and community levels in East Aweil, NBeG state.
· Working alongside our CBO partner to plan and implement hygiene promotion in alignment with elements of UNICEF’s WASH response plan for NBeG to support:
o Advocacy and stakeholder engagement
o Strengthening household reach
o A community based approach to change
o Emphasizing school hygiene and sanitation
· In collaboration with County Hygiene Promotion Managers, plan and conduct hygiene promotion training.
· Oversee the cascade training down through to the village level.
· Oversee ongoing M&E activities in communities and schools.
· Oversee ongoing hygiene promotion activities in communities and schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Program Planning for the WASH and Waste management of IPC Upgrades and Training program
· Draft a detailed implementation plan to achieve the project’s WASH hygiene promotion activities.
· Establish, train and run self-sufficient hygiene promotion teams.
· Drafting of the M&E tools including initial KAP Survey in collaboration with the M&E Officer & HQ Technical Officer.
Coordination of the WASH details of project
· Lead the consultancy assessment and mentoring of WASH hygiene promotion activities in each community and school.
· Provide technical assistance and guidance to local partners
· Draft standard IEC/hygiene promotion guidelines, documents and formats
· IEC/hygiene promotion management, recruitment and training of the WASH hygiene promotion team
· Develop and produce IEC materials in collaboration with the relevant local authorities
Report and Donor Proposals writing
· Drafting of monthly WASH hygiene promotion reports
· Providing support to CD and HQ PM in drafting Quarterly and final programme reports
· Participate in the drafting or modifications of further WASH proposals
How to apply:
Send CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com