Senior River Modeller
About the Role:
At WSP, there’s nothing we love more than pushing boundaries. Harnessing innovation and sharing insights across our diverse, international team to create a tomorrow’s world that's cleaner, greener and safer. Join us and you’ll be part of an organisation that takes pride in its people and purpose: creating long-lasting solutions to meet the needs of generations to come.
As a Senior River Modeller, you'll help us deliver a variety of current projects and develop the flooding and drainage business in the UK. We are committed to ensuring we find the right candidate and as such we will consider flexible working in order to support any candidate who aligns with our goals, values and ambitions for the sector.
If you have the right experience in flood risk management, we will provide you with the right environment to further develop across a range of project opportunities, ranging from small flood alleviation schemes to large multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
WSP Water is experiencing significant growth in the regions of Liverpool, Leeds and Glasgow and we are seeking a Senior Flood Modeller to support the development and growth of our flooding and drainage capability in these areas.
WSP Water provides services across all aspects of the water environment for a varied client base. These services include hydrological and hydraulic modelling, flood risk assessments, flood studies, foul and surface water drainage design and flood alleviation scheme development and design.
A typical week would include:
- Deliverying various flood and drainage related studies and schemes and require strong hydraulic modelling and hydrology expertise as a core skillset.
- The successful candidate must be a self-starter with the drive and skills to build relationships, identify opportunities and work collaboratively with other disciplines.
- Mntoring and managing more junior staff.
- Reporting to a Principal Engineer, you will be expected to be able to work under your own initiative.
- Active participation in business development activities.
- Operating in accordance with the corporate health and safety, environmental and quality standards.
- The role may require travel within the UK.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Degree in relevant Civil or Environmental related discipline
- Chartered Engineer (or nearing charter-ship) with technical expertise in areas of flood risk assessment, flood alleviation, hydrology and hydraulic modelling.
- Familiarity with the appropriate technical standards and guidance and have practical experience with UK flood risk appraisal and design principles.
- Experience in industry leading software packages (Tuflow, Flood Modeller, ISIS) and specifically Infoworks ICM are essential for the role.
- Other associated skills (i.e. fluvial geo-morph, economic appraisal, SuDS, NFM, etc) would be highly advantageous.
- Civils design skills / nous would be advantageous.
- Assisting and overseeing work of junior engineers, including mentoring.
- Knowledge to prepare fee estimates and programmes of future work for incorporation in proposals, and be comfortable leading on projects.
- Drive and ability to build client relationships and develop suitable opportunities.
- Ability to work on own initiative within sector and multidisciplinary team
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.