Consultant (m/f/d) for the Natural Resources Management and Environment Department (Europe and Asia)
GFA Consulting Group is one of the leading German consulting companies within the framework of international development cooperation. Our core business is providing consulting services as well as managing projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Since 1982, GFA has been active in more than 130 countries. Over the years, the company has continuously expanded the scope of its work, which currently includes ten strategic business areas.
The Eurasia Portfolio in the Natural Resources Management Department focusses on consul-tancy services related to sustainable forest management, protected area and national park management, biodiversity conservation, environmental governance (in the EU accession con-text) as well as institutional development and good governance in the forest sector. For more information on GFA please refer to our website www.gfa-group.de.
For our head office in Hamburg/Germany, we are currently looking for an open-minded and versatile Consultant (m/f/d) to join our Natural Resource Management Department for the Eurasia team.
The consultant will be responsible working in the entire Eurasia Region for forest management, conservation, and natural resource management projects, with the main tasks of project management, acquisition and strategic business development. Deskwork is combined with regular field trips and partner visits in the project regions, as well as direct exchange with donors (e.g. KfW, GIZ, EU).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and communicative colleague, who is willing and able to integrate his/her abilities, networks and dedication in the different projects on natural resource management to manage forest landscapes, actively protect biodiversity and natural resources on all its levels e.g. through the collaboration with national. The tasks include project conception and management, proposal writing, financial aspects of project management, willingness to acquire new necessary skills e.g. for infrastructural or fund management projects. Duty station will be Hamburg, Germany, with frequent travel to the Eurasia region.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Project Management (implementation management/financial and technical administration, monitoring and evaluation of projects and studies, contract management, etc), including Backstopping missions to the projects, often in remote and partly security relevant contexts;
- Elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals in response to donor tenders, including identification of new projects and related fact-finding missions;
- Conducting technical short-term consultancy missions including participation in feasibility and project preparatory studies;
- Elaboration of concepts, presentations and contribution to knowledge and quality management, including GFA publications (journal articles, presentations);
- Development of own technical competence in the field of natural resource and national park management through training on the job, conducting of short term missions and technical proposals preparation;
- Establishment of good relationships with donor agencies (GIZ, KfW, EU, etc.), beneficiaries, partner companies and individual experts;
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Junior-Professionals.
- University Degree (MSc., Eng. or PhD) in Forestry, Tropical Ecology, Conservation, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Governance, Development Economics, Geography or related topics;
- 2 years relevant working experience in the context of development cooperation and natural resources management;
- Familiarity with the German (GIZ, KfW) development institutions and a well-founded under-standing of the strategies and programmes of relevant donor agencies is an asset;
- Familiarity with project planning and evaluation methods;
- Experience in tender processes according to international standards is an asset;
- Working experience in developing countries, preferably Asia, Eastern Europe/Caucasus region, is an asset;
- Proven ability and willingness to travel extensively to the countries in the region;
- Full proficiency in English; working knowledge of German is necessary; other language skills relevant for the region are considered as an asset;
- Strong skills in writing and presentation and advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications;
- Other skills: respectful communication skills, dedicated for conservation, transdisciplinary work experience, responsible acting, pragmatism, improvisation skills, stress resistance and team player.
- A future-oriented work place in a multicultural environment with a strong focus on values and the joint aim to provide the best possible solutions for our clients and partners in the developing world;
- A responsible and team-oriented position with diversified tasks and a long-term perspective;
- Continuous skills development and further training;
- A comprehensive set of benefits, e.g. family-oriented company policy, fitness club discounts, public transport reimbursement program, flexible working hours;
- A companywide sustainability concept;
- Events for and with employees.