International Irrigation Specialist
FAO in partnership with the Government of Northern Macedonia is implementing a Technical Co-operation Project, TCP/MCD/3705 - Increased resilience of agriculture sector through promotion of climate smart agriculture practices. The overall objective of this project is to increase resilience of agriculture sector by strengthening institutional capacity and coordination at the national level, and promotion of climate resilient good practices at local level.
Applications are invited for the position of an International Irrigation Specialist (IIS) to provide the technical support towards the implementation of the TCP/MCD/3705. This consultancy work has a duration of 15 working days over 5 months with 2 technical missions to Northern Macedonia of about 10 days.
The International Irrigation Specialist will work under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Northern Macedonia, the technical supervision of the Climate and Environment Division (CBC) and REU Plant Production and Protection Officer.
Climate Change impact assessment, meteorology inventory, mapping, information system and management, and capacity building.
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Irrigation Specialist will be responsible for the followings tasks;
- Contribute to the project inception and preparation of the detailed work plan for the duration of the project;
- Review existing irrigation and drainage practices and management, and conduct consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide technical advice and prepare draft National Irrigation and Drainage
- Conduct consultation meeting on the draft strategy
- Finalise and submit the National Strategy to Government for consideration and endorsement.
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary for the successful execution of the project;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field, such as irrigation/water resources engineering, water management or hydro amelioration with a particular focus on irrigation
- At least 7 years of working experience in the design and implementation of water and irrigation and drainage related projects, including water saving irrigation systems;
- Working knowledge of English; limited knowledge of one of the other languages of the organization (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English in the case of PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in applying agro-meteorology knowledge in support of small scale agriculture
- Work experience in Europe would be an asset
- Ability to plan and organize own work, deliver results and meet deadlines
- Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documents
- Excellent communication skills in English and strong computer, report writing, and presentation skills.
- Experience in the technical assessment and providing quality assurance for the irrigation infrastructure projects;
- Knowledge and experience of work in the project area will be an advantage
- knowledge of local knowledge considered an advantage.
- All applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
- FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact:
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/