Manager (Environmental Stewardship)
At Danone, we believe that every time we eat or drink, we vote for the world we want. As a leading food and beverage company, we make healthy, sustainably-produced foods and beverages that nourish people's lives. Some of our brands include Dannon, Activia, Horizon Organic, International Delight, Silk, Oikos, So Delicious Dairy Free, Stok, Two Good, Vega, and Wallaby Organic. And as the largest Certified B Corporation(R) in the world, we are committed to redefining success in business to ensure that through our brands we create real benefits for people, our communities, and the planet.
With headquarters in Broomfield, CO and White Plains, NY, Danone North America has more than 6,000 employees across the U.S. and Canada, and more than a dozen manufacturing facilities across North America. Our employees enjoy competitive pay and industry-leading benefits (including flexible (unlimited) time off and up to 26 weeks paid parental leave), and share a common mission and culture committed to both business results and social purpose. When you join Danone North America, you become part of a global team that is inspiring a healthier world through food
The Sustainable Development (SD) team, as part of the General Secretary Department of Danone North America (DNA), integrates and aligns our sustainable development strategy into our business strategy and corporate vision. The team provides strategic oversight and direction to cross-functional teams for relevant topics for the organization and works collaboratively to advance One Planet.One Health performance important to our business and stakeholders; utilizes engaging storytelling to communicate sustainability performance and results; identifies, benchmarks, and implements best practices to drive continuous improvement within our business; and engages a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, to advance our sustainable development strategy as well as our vision for a healthy planet and healthy people.
The Manager of Environmental Stewardship will report to the Senior Director, Sustainable Development and Public Benefit. This individual will support critical DNA efforts in several areas:
- Our expert on nature topics and projects focusing on climate, carbon, energy, food waste and water cycles
- Advance operations efficiency efforts, innovations, and absolute resource reduction programs
- Activate watershed level stewardship strategy and programs
- Supporting Packaging Circularity lead on projects, partnerships and industry connectivity/solutions related to circularity ambitions
- Develop and deliver additional environmental programs to ensure compliance and stewardship across the business
- Bridge gaps between data and execution/impact to deliver company goals to preserve and renew the planets resources
- Serve as a company subject matter expert on topics including: climate change resilience, energy (renewable energy), watersheds and stewardship, circularity, sustainable packaging, resource conservation, food waste, and waste management as they relate to sustainable development issues, solutions, operations and policy. As a subject matter expert this role is also responsible to bring learning from the outside into the organization to support integrating the related capabilities within the organization.
- Responsible for developing strategies, solutions and science-based targets, that will drive progress towards our energy, waste, water and carbon reduction goals across all DNA brands, offices, plants and farms.
- Provides strategic advice and consultation to cross-functional teams across the organization for relevant topics of focus.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of data management practices and processes to track, analyze and monitor resource conservation and environmental stewardship projects and programs.
- Leads and facilitates the planning and development of collaborative initiatives related to resource conservation, environmental stewardship and reductions/improvements toward our many sustainable development goals, as well as measure and evaluate program and project efficacy; creating internal support and buy-in to drive execution of plans and initiatives.
- Leads planning and execution of multiple highly visible and complex projects that promote sustainable development commitments or drive business results. Examples could include:
- Designs and initiates programs that maximize the company’s ability to successfully integrate science-based targets, programs and monitoring to advance our net zero carbon ambition, as well as our operational commitments to reduce water, increase renewable energy, and drive operational efficiency and savings through sustainable practice integration.
- Executes our global watershed strategy by engaging with external partners and stakeholders in key watersheds to develop and execute local stewardship plans.
- Sustainable packaging strategies and initiatives that help us meet our 2025 circularity goals for 100% reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging and those that help us solve for waste management systems to ensure we do our part to support transformation of the infrastructure and systems needed to collect and deliver high-quality and readily available recyclable materials.
- In collaboration with other internal functional leads, this role will seek, build, and maintain cooperative relationships with key external stakeholders and lead partnership opportunities with private, government and non-governmental organizations to advance Sustainable Development policies, strategies and foster continuous improvement.
- Manages complex agreements or contracts with external vendors.
- Conducts research and environmental impact assessments to continuously broaden our knowledge about our products and processes.
- Communicates Sustainable Development content and results to external stakeholders and public audiences.
Education and Experience (Requirements):
- Mandatory previous and significant experience in corporate sustainability/sustainable development position with at least 5 years in role.
- Relevant experience project and program management in relevant topic areas, data analysis and prior public presenting experience are also crucial to a candidate’s success in this position.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields. Master’s or higher degree in Sustainable Development related fields a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The ideal candidate will have existing and relevant stakeholder relationships, demonstrated leadership and management skills, industry knowledge (emerging trends and concepts), and experience with environmental, energy, water stewardship and other sustainable development topics and best practices as noted above.
- Utility, waste reduction, energy management, and sustainability practices, solutions, terminology and familiarity with auditing methods and principles.
- Ability to operationalize sustainability strategies into action plans and lead the execution.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues to diverse audiences and constituencies are all required skills..
- Strong research, analytical, organizational, creative, and strategic thinking skills.
- The candidate will also have the ability to excel both independently and as part of a team and to manage multiple projects simultaneously, from conception to implementation.
- Collaborative mindset and attitude.
- Represent team on external working groups, certification organizations and/or multi-stakeholder organizations, building relationships networks inside and outside the organization.
- Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Knowledge of public/community awareness, public outreach, education, co-creation, sustainable startup businesses and philanthropy.
- Ability to operate effectively in a fast-pace, complex and often changing environment.
- Capable to efficiently manage simultaneously multiple projects, involving numerous and diverse partners/stakeholders, with challenging timelines.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.