Team Leader, Scaling up Water Supply, Sanitation, and Hygiene Project (World Bank) Subject to donor award
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1350 staff in 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV is looking to recruit a Team Leader (subject to contract award) to oversee the implementation of an upcoming development project in water supply, sanitation and hygiene in Lao PDR. The project will provide strategic technical assistance to the Lao government, for the implementation of a rural water supply and sanitation project. The technical assistance will support strengthening the capacity of governmental staff in ministries, provinces, and districts, as well as strengthen WASH systems at all levels for scaling up. The work will include, at all levels of government:
· Strategic project implementation support
· Support to operationalization of the project
· Capacity building of project staff
The Team Leader will be responsible for the overall design and management of the project and for the implementation of activities related to the project delivery including partner relations, staff management, project planning, budgeting, implementation, evaluation, and supporting donor reporting.
S/he will provide technical leadership on the overall strategic development and implementation of the project and lead operationalization support for the same, specifically oversight of institutional capacity building to ministries, provinces, and districts. S/he will contribute to ensuring the scaling up of strengthened WASH systems and capacity.
S/he will be responsible for leading knowledge management initiatives under the project, supporting a range of assessments related to gender, social inclusive, governance, health and/or climate change, and for strengthening the local level authorities on technical WASH themes and evidence-based process in project development.
· Lead and manage the team and its partners towards the efficient and effective delivery of agreed outputs, outcomes and impacts ensuring full donor satisfaction for the projects;
· Be accountable for use of the human, material and financial resources provided to implement the project; ensure proper financial management, budget planning, monitoring and financial reporting in accordance with the donor requirements and SNV standards for the project;
· Develop work plans, budgets, competence tables with financial responsibilities and mandates;
· Ensure the quality performance of the project in terms of achieving its strategic and operational results as well as contributing to the improvement the overall quality of the Lao WASH sector and its systems;
· Prepare manuals and guidelines needed to facilitate a proper implementation of the project plan;
· Prepare Terms of Reference and propose experts for international short term and national short and long-term consultants;
· Develop performance monitoring criteria and conduct performance assessment of staff on annual basis, and if necessary, decide on necessary actions;
· Develop plans for improving the quality of staff and implementing partners’ capacities;
· Develop the required networks with national and sub-national stakeholders including government, INGOs and development partners, local NGOs, private sector, and special interest groups;
· Ensure uniform understanding and practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of the project in line with SNV’s principles and donor requirements;
· Lead the development and coordination of strategic partnerships for joint service delivery and achieving impact at scale;
- Provide over-sight quality checks of monitoring data, identify capacity needs and refine and/or review tools and benchmarking systems as appropriate.
Master’s degree in Water Supply and Sanitation, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, or other relevant fields.
Required professional Experience and expertise:
· Minimum 10 years relevant international working experience in water supply and sanitation in developing countries, in particular in the ASEAN region;
· Extensive experience in working together with and managing relations with national and sub-national government partners;
· Demonstrated experience in leading multidisciplinary teams in long-term assignments;
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing and implementing training and institutional capacity building trajectories;
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing the rural WASH project cycle;
· Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with donors, development partners, the private sector and other stakeholders;
· Capacity and ability to integrate gender equality, social inclusion and environmental safeguarding;
· Excellent (intercultural) communication skills;
· Fluency in written and spoken English;
· Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills;
· High professional integrity and proven ability to work in difficult conditions;
· Experience with World bank funded projects will be an advantage;
· Knowledge of the Lao context and/or the Lao language will be an advantage.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 4 years (10.5 months / year)
Expected Start Date Q2 2020 (subject to bid success)
Information Duty Station Vientiane, Lao PDR
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the "I'm interested" button.
All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.